NEED HELP weird cockatiel sound

Yesmria

Aug 22, 2020
Parrots
Cockatiel, Sun Conure
So one moment my tiel was minding her own business on top of her cage and the next moment she flies over to me screaming bloody murder. I take her into a different room cause maybe she's stressed by the new bird *who hasnt touched her at all they are just in the same room* but she's trembling and holding her right wing weird. Is she just attention seeking or does she need to see a vet asap?? [ame="https://youtu.be/Y5Tkp_7x7Dg"]Cockatiel sounds - YouTube[/ame] The video is of the sound shes making.

OP
Y

Yesmria

Aug 22, 2020
Parrots
Cockatiel, Sun Conure
Shes stopped trembling and crying. Shes stretching both wing and grooming herself. I called my emergency vet and he said it sounds like she pulled a muscle. What should I do until I can get her in for a checkup? He said just keep her calm and prevent her from flying but I felt id ask for more tips

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
Youā€™re sure she was on top of her cage and didnā€™t climb down/in it? Occasionally mine will get their wing caught between bars on the cage and freak out long after. Mine will scream if thereā€™s a feather out of place. Like itā€™s folded oddly around their wing and they canā€™t straighten it out. Iā€™ll pet them calmly and spread the wing out completely as a general ā€œresetā€. Also, could it be a blood feather? Or a super sensitive pin feather?

Iā€™m no vet, but with my cockatiels those seem to be the main reasons for random outbursts.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It does look like something is bothering her wing.
Could very well be a misplaced feather.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Agreed this could be something minor, as has been pointed out. But it never hurts to err on the side of caution, as long as the vet involved is an experienced certified avian vet This is where that pays off so that minor stuff like a twisted feather is not diagnosed as something major, or vice versa. As long as she is examined in a calm , non excitable manner. Hope it turns out to be minor indeed.

Most Reactions