Need help with a pigeon chick

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I was walking outside with one of my friends when I spotted an injured pigeon chick, so I took him home with me because the place was flooding woth cats and I didn’t want him to get eaten, I’m almost 100% sure he was attacked by a cat, his wound looks deep though I didn’t take a good look at it I’ll try to get a better look in the morning and I’ll try to convince my dad to take him to a vet, he’s sleeping tiki’s travel cage right now and he seemed to have gotten really comfortable, he keeps peeping for food whenever he sees me though and I’m not really sure what I could feed him, I tried to offer him seeds and he was constantly pecking at them though he didn’t look like he knows what to do with them, what other foods can I offer him that maybe he would eat? He doesn’t look like he’s weened yet and I tried to offer him soft food that he could eat but he didn’t accept any, What should I do with him? Here’s a little pic of him as well (sorry if my grammar sucks its 2 am rn and my brain isn’t functioning properly 💀)
image.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was walking outside with one of my friends when I spotted an injured pigeon chick, so I took him home with me because the place was flooding woth cats and I didn’t want him to get eaten, I’m almost 100% sure he was attacked by a cat, his wound looks deep though I didn’t take a good look at it I’ll try to get a better look in the morning and I’ll try to convince my dad to take him to a vet, he’s sleeping tiki’s travel cage right now and he seemed to have gotten really comfortable, he keeps peeping for food whenever he sees me though and I’m not really sure what I could feed him, I tried to offer him seeds and he was constantly pecking at them though he didn’t look like he knows what to do with them, what other foods can I offer him that maybe he would eat? He doesn’t look like he’s weened yet and I tried to offer him soft food that he could eat but he didn’t accept any, What should I do with him? Here’s a little pic of him as well (sorry if my grammar sucks its 2 am rn and my brain isn’t functioning properly 💀)View attachment 50324
Where is the wound? A wound from a cat would be quickly fatal due to the bacteria in a cat's mouth getting into the bloodstream. So if he's still alive and not getting worse it's probably not a cat bite or bad scratch. This is a wild animal at fledging age so it may be difficult to get him to accept hand feedings with baby bird formula. Are you sure the parents aren't around looking for him? Not sure what to tell you other than to see a vet but many won't see wild birds- only birds kept as pets. Keep offering the bird seed and water. You could try putting him in a small open topped box in an open area and locating the box where a cat cannot get him and see if his parents find him

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you have pellets, grind several and add warm water and feed with an eye dropper, to like.
A little more difficult, but you could do the same with crushed seed and/or grain.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I think pigeons will eat about anything....at least in my experience. In the short term I'd try high fat high protien foods like peanuts and mcdonalds hamburgers. In college they seemed to go for those....

I'm not being disrespectful I've saved a few wild birds myself....I think it might help. I appalaud you for being someone to look after an injured bird.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think pigeons will eat about anything....at least in my experience. In the short term I'd try high fat high protien foods like peanuts and mcdonalds hamburgers. In college they seemed to go for those....

I'm not being disrespectful I've saved a few wild birds myself....I think it might help. I appalaud you for being someone to look after an injured bird.
They like pizza too!

Most Reactions

Latest posts