Need help with Amazon who's become a picky eater

Metallic

Apr 13, 2012
Lately, my Yellow Nape has become a very picky eater. She is 25 years old. She was on a partial seed diet, but I weaned her off all seed over ten years ago.

Until now, she has been a pretty good eater. Now, she doesn't even like some of her favorite healthy foods like whole grain bread, yams and sugar snap peas. On occasion, I could even get her to eat brussels sprouts and broccoli, although she loathes some green veggies.

I'm looking for healthy food ideas. Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sweet potato, and acorn squash. Salty gets those X2 a month, keeps him interested in his food .

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
You might try cooking up some quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah", at least in these parts). We cook it in a rice cooker, which works great. Sometimes we flavor it a bit with fruit juice or something, just to make it more of a treat. We also scrape calcium dust into it (scrape a cuttle bone with the back of a table knife), as well as shredded carrots, etc. for added nutrition.

All of our birds seem to love it, it's good for them, and it's a change in the food routine. We do it about once every 2-3 weeks, and the birds get really excited about it.

'Course, my YNA goes positively nuts when we make Kraft mac' n 'cheese - he can't see it while we make it, but he can obviously smell it. He only gets a half teaspoon full or so (it's probably not a healthy food for a parrot), but it's like seeing a kid being given his very own chocolate cake! As I walk towards his cage, he spins around in circles on the perch nearest his food bowl, chattering like crazy. Once it's in his bowl, he's head down in the bowl until there's not a trace left.

Last edited:
OP
M

Metallic

Apr 13, 2012
...he spins around in circles on the perch nearest his food bowl, chattering like crazy. Once it's in his bowl, he's head down in the bowl until there's not a trace left.

Thanks much!

My Nape still gets excited about some foods. She LOVES French toast, which we have about once a week. I use whole grain bread to make it more healthy. As soon as she sees/hears me whip the eggs in the bowl, she pesters me non stop. Patience is not one of her strong suits.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
My Amazon gets excited when he hears noise in the kitchen, before he even knows what is cooking. Starts begging immediately. Hello, Hello HELLO! I have to give him a walnut to quiet him down until dinner is ready. He likes about everything. All veggies except spinach, all fruits and pasta, peanut butter, chicken, scrambled eggs. You name it, he'll eat it. I just don't get that spinach thing, though. He will get up, go to his cup, throw the spinach out, and go back to sleep. Every single time.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Birdie bread is my miracle food for stubborn and picky eaters. It's crammed with lots of good stuff and even a decades long seed addict who would literally starve himself rather than eat anything other than seed converted off of an all seed diet with the stuff. It's really a miracle worker. There's a ton of different recipes out there, but the basic gist is an unsweetened cornbread with a ton of finely chopped veggies, some pureed fruits instead of sugar, a healthier oil such as sunflower oil instead of butter, and oatmeal to soak up some of the excess moisture (and maybe a little extra baking powder to help with setting).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Texture and /or presentation is important to Parrots and some food variations, individual Parrots just have zero interest. Consider changing it to chopped spinach and see if that works. There will be just some foods that for whatever reason, they will not want or like!

Most Reactions

Latest posts