Need help with my rescued baby alexandrine parrot

Nuzaikm

May 5, 2017
Sri Lanka
Parrots
Cockatiel
Alexandrine Parrot
Hi. Im new to the forum. Im here because I need help with my baby alexandrine parrot. I bought it from a person who catch wild birds. It was too small to survive with him. So i did bring him home. I dont know his age and I m feeding him every 4to5 hours. Since formulas are not available here i use a baby cerial food. Any tips will be appreciated. I have a photo of him attached.

Attachments

• 20170503_073315.jpg
    20170503_073315.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 125

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you for taking on this huge responsibility. You will need help from one of our Breeders as there is lots of very special needs of a chick this young.

Temperature will be very important targeting 90 degree F (sorry I do not have my metric converter with me) for your chicks nesting area. Food temperature is also very important, I know that it needs to be warmer than the nesting area more like 100 degrees F maybe a bit higher - but that information needs to come from one of our Breeder Members!

It will be very important to find a Vet that will help you as there are many medical requirements of chicks.

Take Care - but you need to have a very strong face to face discussion with your Friend and his poor practices of catching Parrots. His poor practices will destroy his ability to catch Parrots in the future. Long time practices are not always good for the future.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
For your information:

Visit the Breeding / Raising Parrots Forum (Select Forums near the top of most all pages). The Breeding / Raising Parrots Forum is about 2/3 of the way down the list of Forums. Open that Forum and at the Top is the First (1) Thread - Titled Time to Learn, Time to Ask. Open that Thread. The Third item provides a Link to the Parrot University. By selecting that Link, it will connect to an article of Feeding! Read the complete Article as it has a full spectrum information you will need.

With in that Forum is the sixth (6) Thread down, which provides a Link to a Hand Feeding Book. NOTE: the provided Link maybe closed.

I did find that the maximum temperature for the food is 105 degrees F. Place formula in a small warm bowl and set that bowl in a bowl of hot water. This will help in maintaining temperature.

NOTE: Do not provide food over 105 degree F since it may 'burn' the chicks crop! To not provide formula that has be come cool as it may harden in the crop cause a blockage.

Please see a Vet that will provide Avian Care As Soon As Possible! Yesterday would have been better.

OP
N

Nuzaikm

May 5, 2017
Sri Lanka
Parrots
Cockatiel
Alexandrine Parrot
Thanks for the advices. Since the photos I attached was taken 2 or 3 days back now he has got tiny black feathers appearing on his wings. I will attach some photos in the future.

OP
N

Nuzaikm

May 5, 2017
Sri Lanka
Parrots
Cockatiel
Alexandrine Parrot
Ive got a 3 weeks old baby alexandrine. He is always screaming when he hear me. And sometimes he is vibrating. What is the reason for it? Is it normal? He is also growing good. Please help me

Attachments

• 20170508_083310.jpg
    20170508_083310.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:

frankjose

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Alexandrine (deceased - 27/5/2018)

Indian Ringneck
If he is responding to your voice then it is good news. Keep talking to him

Most Reactions