need help

Roscoe

Oct 31, 2011
Yesterday out of borden I went to look at a bird that turned out to be a mex redhead amazon. The older lady had him in a tiny cage and he looked sad. I told her the cage was small and she said he lived in that cage since 1985! Anyways I paid 300 for him. His nails are so long they curl twice and his break is so long. We see the vet wednesday and I'm looking for a larger cage now.

Question I have is how do I get him to trust me and let me pet him? How do I get him out of this little cage into the bigger one? BTW his name is Rosco P. Coltrane from the dukes of hazards.

He only eats pellets and she said he dont like fruits and veggies.I will be working on this, maybe he will eat them in time.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Thank you for rescuing this little guy. You wont be sorry they are sweet birds. You're going to have to go really slow w/him, 26 years w/little or no interaction is going to be alot to overcome. Maybe place his small cage near the larger new one & let him decide when to move. Place him where you are the most, talk to him, read, sing to him. You can offer him treats thru the bars. Leave his door open @ times & let him climb out in his own time. Glad you're going to the avian vet, he's probably do for a visit. I would ask if the trimming could be done a little @ a time, he sounds really overgrown.

OP
R

Roscoe

Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for rescuing this little guy. You wont be sorry they are sweet birds. You're going to have to go really slow w/him, 26 years w/little or no interaction is going to be alot to overcome. Maybe place his small cage near the larger new one & let him decide when to move. Place him where you are the most, talk to him, read, sing to him. You can offer him treats thru the bars. Leave his door open @ times & let him climb out in his own time. Glad you're going to the avian vet, he's probably do for a visit. I would ask if the trimming could be done a little @ a time, he sounds really overgrown.
I felt so bad for him I just couldn't leave him. I have a tiel who is 7 years old been with me since he was a baby and he talks so I put them next to each other not letting the cages touch . Rosco had a yellow amazon friend beside his cage for 26 years and the lady decided to keep him, I did offer to buy him too. He was in a very small cage also. No matter what I will work with him and hope he will trust me one day, if not that's fine just looking at his beauty is enough for me. :)
Thank you so much for your reply.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Last year we adopted a Red Lored Amazon who had not been out of his cage for more than 24 yrs, he is one of the most cuddliet zons you could ever want to meet now. There's nothing that says cage bound zons can't become great pets. Many are just looking for a flock to belong to, and you just need to give them that chance . I have tons of experience with rehomed zons ,if you need help feel free to ask. The most important thing is to put your self in your birds place and see the world though his eyes. He just wants to know his place in the flock and know he's safe.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I rescued a lilac crown amazon that had been kept in a cockatiel cage for 15 years. Her wings were rubbed and she was very difficult at first. I did what my vet recommended, since she would take food from me he told me to only feed her from my hand. I spent hours feeding her, talking to her, reading to her. My children read to her. I did all this in front of her open door. I could not take her out of her cage so I just sat talking, singing etc. She eventually after what seemed like forever let me take her out of her cage. She is still a nervous girl, at times very moody but then again she is an amazon. She has become attached to me and will step up to my husband and children as long as I hand her off to them. I am the only one that can take her out of her cage. I had always wanted a cag and talked to my vet on one of our visits to him. He said that he thought it might be good for Kiwi but to make sure the cages were 8-10 feet apart. Since Kiwi didn't know how to play with toys or eat healthy food (she was on seed only when I got her) Since getting Dorothy my cag several weeks ago, Kiwi has already chewed through several toys, is eating vegetables and fruits along with the pellets that I got her on. I think putting your new amazon near but not too close to your other bird is a great idea! They are flock animals and want to be like the other members of the flock, when Dorothy plays, Kiwi plays etc. Good for you getting your new baby out of that bad situation!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I just saw that Henpecked responded, do ask him questions! He was a HUGE help with Kiwi when I first brought her home. I felt very over my head at first and he was so helpful! Lots of zon experience there!

Most Reactions

Latest posts