Need some advice please..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...with Jonesy..I'm gonna start calling him a strpper! Coz he just keeps taking his clothes off :eek:
Specifically his fluff. I ca n't figure out why. It SEEMS like he does this only when he is HAPPY :confused:
If Arleen and I are in the kitchen playing cribbage,we usually take one of the birdies with us. Jones will sit on my shoulder,or on a chair next to the table,and he'll talk away,jump up and down,flip his head this way and that..he'll take nummies from me or Arleen,let either of us pet,rub,scratch,give him lovies,and he absolutely enjoys all the attention.
Then he'll start to strip! and he does this fast,grabbing on to his little fluff feathers and pull them out. He doesn't do this to his arms or tail.
He does this too when we sit on the couch and he is on mine or Arleen's lap.

He loves Arleen to death..she can do anything with him,and since she has moved in with me,his attitude toward me has changed for the better too.
He readily comes to me to be picked up,climbs under my chin and snuggles,he has never done this before. He seems to be a very content and happy 'lil 'too man :) Can he be "over excited" with us? If I put him back in the living room on his roof and leave,he doesn't strip. I am very worried he will become bald again. He is starting to look ratty,like he did when he first came here :(

He and Amy seem to be hitting it off too. Tonight I let both out,and went out of the room for five minutes,when I returned,both birds were on the floor and were beak to beak! No one screeched or screamed,so there was no fighting,as soon as Jones saw me,he turned around and skee-daddled back to his house leaving Amy in the dust lol.
I ttok Amy into the kitchen,and put her on the back of a chair,while Arllen and I played cards,and The Cockatoo Man was on my shoulder no more than five feet away,and both ate some pop corn and chewed old playing cards up..we could scratch either bird with no jealousy being shown.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hmmm, that's a difficult problem to diagnose, Jim. Assuming there is no medical reason, and I cannot imagine what issue would cause his picking of fluff without disturbing other feathers. Perhaps it's a neurotic behavior he had before and it's just a habit. He seems happy and loved, and freely gives attention to those in your house. Hard to say what would trigger this now.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have 3 that pluck . Im finding as the seasons change so does their feather amount [for whatever reason]. We just added those special lights to the bird room [and what a difference in things] . You could also try Avicalm and Featheriffic . I bought mine on Amazon. I find my Goffin likes to shred cardboard and newspaper .Keeps him busy

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hmmm, that's a difficult problem to diagnose, Jim. Assuming there is no medical reason, and I cannot imagine what issue would cause his picking of fluff without disturbing other feathers. Perhaps it's a neurotic behavior he had before and it's just a habit. He seems happy and loved, and freely gives attention to those in your house. Hard to say what would trigger this now.

Well Scott, I did receive a card from his doctor informing me its time for his 6 month check up..<geez he's been here 6 months already..time flys!> So I guess I'll make an appointment to have him looked at. Thanks for the reply ;)

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts