Need some tips on "re-bonding" a Lesser

geneween

May 14, 2013
We recently adopted a 2 year old male lesser from a young women and I am looking for any tips on how to get him to "re" bond with human males.

Here's the story.

He's two years old and was owned by a young (early 20's) lady. From what we have gathered he has never been socialized much with Human Males, been outside, around children or other animals and according to my wife, has never seen a stick. From what the women told us he's pretty much been in her apartment and IMO a little sheltered, not abused, just not use to more than just her.

My Wife an Daughter have no problems getting him out of the cage and socializing with him, but if I try to, I will be bit.

I'm not planning on throwing in the towel but any tips to speed up (because it hurts) the not getting bit phase would be great.

For now I'm going to do the following:

1. try to do as many things in front of his cage as possible so he gets use to me being around.
2. do all the feeding, water changing and cage cleaning.
3. offer treats.
4. pet him as much as he will allow.

BTW, this is not our first parrot, we had a B&G Macaw we raised from 4 weeks old that was stolen from us a while back. So this is not my first time at the Rodeo when it come to testing and behavior issues.

Thanks,
Gene

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
hehe, I like your "not my first rodeo" saying :)

I rescued a 24 y/o extremely neglected CAG who plucked. She never had fresh water or good food. It's been a journey with her since she wasn't handled in ~15 years. I have the opposite problem though, I am a female and she loves male humans.

We try to make sure that my fiance does all the dirty work that she might not like. Like vet visits. I do exactly what you have listed, all the good stuff. I have had her 11 months now and she has come a very long ways, and I just posted a new photo in the CAG section....her chest feathers are slowly coming back in.

Keep up with what you are doing. Always be the good guy, share your food with him, always chat with him, spend as much time as possible around the cage.

I have never owned a 'too, i have read tho that they are notorious for bonding with just one person. But I do hope you can have success like I have had with Chloe even though they aren't the same bird.

I wish you the best of luck and just keep up the great work, you are already on a great start!

-Lindsey

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Gene.....

It sounds like you have a plan for success and with Lindsey's suggestions you should have a very workable formula, but may need an adjustment here & there, working with his personality.....

Good luck.....

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Thank you Weco that is really kind!

Your greatest enemy will be TIME Gene. We live in a society where we get things instantly if we want them. I had to learn also that instant love from my parrot wasn't happening over night. It almost killed me, but I finally asked her to step up after 4 weeks of having her. I showered her in new toys, perches, foot toys, fruit, veggies and treats. When she raised her foot up to me (after I had a few beers I WONT LIE!!!! I was scared because she is the largest bird that ive owned so far) it was the most amazing feeling ....I have ever had. The exact second my brain had sent to me that she hadnt been held in YEARS ....15+ years, and just sat in a cage never knowing her next meal or when her water was changed. ....... holy crud she lifted her leg up to come up on my arm. Wow. I still sometimes like to sit in a boring lecture and day dream to that exact time. It was....like, surreal almost. Like I didn't deserve it because of how much pain another human had put her through.

Just keep with it, don't ever get down. It will take time and everyone here will tell you to be patient and to keep up what you are already doing. I applaud you for doing your research and knowing how to already try to win him over. Awesome! ....I believe beer and wine help any bites that might be encountered with rescued birds!! :) Or I'm just a sloshy

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Look into positive reinforcement and clicker training. Through this kind of training you can form a healthy and fun relationship with your new companion!

OP
G

geneween

May 14, 2013
Yeah, I'm not looking for a quick fix, just looking for advice so I don't try the wrong things and end up making it take even longer. I'm on the hunt now for a "clicker" so I can start treat/clicker training.

g

Most Reactions

Latest posts