need some words of encouragement

phearcat

Sep 21, 2009
:green2: After months of searching for the right bird we finally narrowed our choice down the Hahn's Macaw. Unfortunately the the exotic bird store we have been going to for the past year sold out and then we found ourselves way down the waiting list for this bird. We wanted to get one really bad so we started searching on the internet for breeders including ones from out of state.

We ended up finding a Hahn's at a local pet shop that we would have never even considered going before (the previous owners had an awful set up selling puppy mill dogs and it was really gross) New owners are great and only deal with exotic birds and rescue animals and free clinics.

The Hahn's we now have on deposit, marked down from 800 to 500 has been in the store now for 1 year. The store employees of course handle him with ease and he seems like he would be a great family bird. This guy really needs a forever home too he's gotten great care at the pet store but I think he would do best if he was in a home. Only one minus about this guy is that he is really nippy to us when we have visited him in the store. I know he's going to be great once we get him home and work with him but my wife is a bit scare of him. The others Hahn's we have encountered our preferred exotic store seem more approachable and will let any stranger walk up an pet the all over.

But this guy I am about to take home at the end of the week, I know were going to get some bites. I am REALLY hoping I can get him used to my wife and kid and loving on them in a few weeks because I am due to be deployed at the end of October for a year.

Do you think we can get a new bird used to and bonding with the family in less than a month. I am going to be working with him a ton before I leave.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I know were going to get some bites. I am REALLY hoping I can get him used to my wife and kid and loving on them in a few weeks because I am due to be deployed at the end of October for a year.

Do you think we can get a new bird used to and bonding with the family in less than a month. I am going to be working with him a ton before I leave.

Its good that you are prepared for the reality: you WILL get bit. But I do think with a little time and patience he should adjust well to his new home; however to be realistic it may quite likely take more than a few weeks.

If you are going to be leaving it is your wife and family that will need to work with him if he needs to be good for them. You should work with him as well, but if he really bonds to you in these coming weeks then you leave for a year this will just make it harder for the rest of the family. You should work with him a bit so he is comfortable with you, but he will have to see your wife, or the rest of the family, as his primary care taker.

This brings up a question of intent: is your family as fond of getting this bird as you are? If not then please wait until you return home next year. If they are not completely dedicated to it then they will not be able to take proper care and train him over the coming year; not only is that not a great option for the bird but it means when you come home next year you'll have a bird with even worse habits.

OP
P

phearcat

Sep 21, 2009
Since we have our friend on deposit still, we have been going to the bird store everyday and just playing with him.

Today he was pretty sweet, no attempts to bite at me. He was a bit nervous and kept looking at his dominate brother Hahn's macaw on the other perch.

When he arrives home he is going to have the funnest largest cage and perch ever and he'll have all sorts of treats and veggies to keep him occupied.

We will win his heart over with food, love and patience.

BrianFLA

Sep 29, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Parrots
2 B/G
Food, love and patience. You are on to the magic formula. In 90 days he won't even remember living in the petshop. He'll be all about his new surroundings and people.

Keep a few band-aids handy during the process. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts