Need to leave for a week

parrotdaddy

Mar 17, 2013
Hello everyone,
I have to leave my conure for a week. I'm split between two options. One is to leave her at my friend's house. I am sure he can manage her because he has a conure of his own. Though, I am worried that the change of setting would affect her. Also, she does not like others at all. My other option is to have a friend come over regularly to check on her and take care of feeding and such. Which choice would be better?

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
have the friend come over IMO, also have them start before you leave to try to acclimate the bird first. You being there will (should) help calm the bird while your friend does the feeding and such.

MuddyPaws

Mar 17, 2013
Alaska
Parrots
28 yr old Orange Winged Amazon

3 month old Sun Conure
My 28 year old Orange Winged Amazon; Gort, was a rescue. He HATES everyone, except myself.

I have had to leave him before with my friend who is experienced with birds. After a few days, he was fine with her (she did give him some yummy treats quite a bit to earn his trust but you dont always have to do that).

Most birds are perfectly fine being left in their cages at someone elses house, and just the minimum interaction - feeding/watering.
However, if you're just going to have your friend come over and feed/water her, that might be in the best interest for the bird. The reason why I say this is because it is her own environment, not having you their will stress her out enough. BUT the bird is in its' environment where it knows it's safe.

I have usually taken my birds over to others' houses, but that is because I've never had the option to leave them at my home when I was away and have someone come over and feed/water them.

I also agree with what WharfRat said. It is a good suggestion to have your friend come over and feed/water the bird while you're there, so it wont be so stressed when you're gone and he has to do it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Muddy, thanks for giving Gort a new home. I have a soft spot in my heart for OWAs.My first reaction was to say take them to the friends house where they'd have more interaction.But yyour right ,,, my birds would be happier in their home. Stressed enough because i'm gone. But would be better off at home. Safer too.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I would leave the bird at home with a tv or radio on to keep it company. I would only consider putting a bird in another home as a last resort if it was quarantined.

OP
P

parrotdaddy

Mar 17, 2013
Thank you for the feedback guys! Also, she is very afraid of the dark. Should I keep the lights to her room on?

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
You could use a night light instead of lights on all the time. I'm sure she would enjoy some dark, but not full darkness. So a night light near the cage just to give a glow may be beneficial :).

Most Reactions