Need to work on some jealousy issues

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I know CAGs and TAGs have a reputation of being one-person parrots. I also know that it's possible to socialize a Grey so they are more accepting of more people.

True to the reputation, Ruby's started exhibiting jealousy issues. It started with Max, but that was easy since they took an instant dislike to each other. Recently, she doesn't let him within 5 feet of me abd it's spilling over to everyone else in the family. She's okay with Jade, as long as Jade isn't getting more attention or if Jade was there first (she'll strafe Max if he lands on me).

She doesn't like the dogs to come looking for attention and has started dive-bombing them if they do. I'm especially woried about this because Luke, the giant lab, is getting annoyed and has snapped at her. I'm afraid she might not be flying fast enough one day.

And she tends to nip at my husband and boys is they try to pet or pick her up.

I need to start working more with Ruby to overcome some of her jealousy. Other than slowly spending more time with everyone, are there any other suggestions as to how to go about this? I also think she starting to molt since I've found several larger feathers about and this may be contributing to her moodiness.

DIR Diver

Jan 20, 2011
can you try to put her cage in a lower traffic area in the house. then start to introduce say the dog into the room while she is still in the cage. if she freaks out then exit the room and stay near enough where she hears you playing with the dog. Then after a minute or so come back with the dog or whatever animal/human you are trying to break her jealousy over. when she finally just ignores your interaction with the other animal/human you give her a jackpot reward of her favorite treat.

Then slowly start doing this with the bird out of the cage. until she finally understands that if she doesnt attack or do whatever bad behavior you have been trying to correct then she gets the reward of gaining your attention!

It will be easier said than done. Just dont get frustrated and stay nice and calm when she isnt behaving.

DIR Diver

Jan 20, 2011
one other thing that i just though of for getting her to be better with your husband and boys.
My african grey was like that at first where he wouldnt let me or any friends that we had over the house come near him especially while he was with my wife (who he calls Bubby). So we started a game that we call "hot potato" Where we basically just keep passing him around asking him to step up for everyone in the circle at random (so dont just go in a circle cause the bird may think he has to only rotate to the person on the left or right and can get confused)
Once the bird steps up onto each person in the circle 1-2 times...everyone involved has to get really excited (GOOD BIRD YAY WOOHOO) and take turns giving his favorite treat.(make sure that the bird recieves the treats from everyone at random so the bird wont be expecting to always get the treat from the same person).

It worked well for our CAG but he still favors his Bubby over anyone else, but he isnt nasty towards anyone anymore... he just loves his Mommy!

Most Reactions