Needing some advice please.

Jessiwill

Oct 26, 2023
Media
Parrots
A pineapple and a greencheek conure.
So,.. My boyfriend got a greencheek one day, .. lord knows he didn't need one. Lol. Anyway,.. so the bird and I fell frigging IN LOVE the second I held him and were inseparable from that day on. He would get mad if I didn't take him on car rides when I left. Long story short,.. my boyfriend left the bedroom door open one day while I was at work ( we put him in a smaller cage in the back when we have to clean carpets or any thing) and well... I came home to no bird. My dogs got ahold of him and there was nothing left but feathers!!! I've never been so upset in my life!! I still burst out in tears randomly. Well... my boyfriend thought it would be sweet to find me another conure for my birthday... that looks just like Jakey. The bird was sweet at first, cuddly even. Then my neighbor thought it would be sweet to do the same thing. So o now have a pineapple and a greencheek. The greencheek seems like he's never been interacted with before. So comes nowhere near me (we've graduated to taking toys from me if I hold still) and then...there's the pineapple. Who now hates me. Will fly at my head and bite me every chance it gets. Literally will attack my face. Nowhere near sweet anymore. She will even fly over to me and poop right on me...and fly off. Why??? Why in the heck did this have to end up with my bird gone...and now I have two birds I want to bond with
..that hate me and want nothing to do with me. They have their own room (my room) they get plenty of attention, but I don't crowd them. It's not crazy noisy in my house. Any suggestions ? Sorry about the long post. 20231010_084742.jpgMojo(left) and Scarlet (right)20231010_084740.jpg

Attachments

• 20231018_013450.jpg
    20231018_013450.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 10

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Iā€™m very sorry for your loss of your first bird šŸ˜¢. As far as the two new birds go, I know itā€™s really hard but try not to take it personal! Remember, birds are technically not domesticated so they are very reactionary animals and have a lot of natural fears. As much as it might feel like it, they are not sitting around stewing in hatred towards you and plotting your destruction ( though sometimes it really does feel like it!). I have two thoughts: first jealousy does happen in birds. Try giving them your full attention one at a time, totally separate from each other. Second, I donā€™t see you mention ages, but when hormones hit young birds it can often trigger aggressive behaviors. These should pass in time. There are a lot of conure owners on this thread who will hopefully share some more ideas.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Am very sorry about your loss. That had to be an extremely difficult time for you.
As Jcas mentioned, jealousy is most likely playing a role here. My Pineapple is almost 6 and me and him have been living alone for those 6 yearsā€¦with the occasional dating here and there.
Currently I have been dating a woman that loves Buddy but every time I sit with her, my Conure starts squawking at us if heā€™s in his cage. He even turns his back on us sometimes. If I sit by myself, heā€™s fine.
My friend then goes over and talks with Buddy and spends time with him out if his cage. His jealousy seems to be waning.
Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts