Nem member, first bird

levi.

Mar 13, 2017
Hello! How are you guys?

So I got from my dad a lovebird. I named him Migi. I have a few concerns about him like He doesn't have one of his legs the man of the pet store told me that he already born this way (but he doesn't seem to struggle with that. He climb up and down the cage without problems) and when I asked to the man to trim his wings he just clipped one of his wing and I'm afraid when I need to get him out of his cage he flew away and got hurt. i don't know what to do.

And I have few questions like How many days I need to let him alone until I start the bonding process with him? I need to talk to him until he seems used to my voice before to let him out? or I can get him out of the cage and start there? and how I put him back to the cage?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for rescuing this little bird.
I have no idea why that man clipped ONE wing...
Please, for now, just leave him in the cage and get him used to you by sitting close, talking gently, and offering treats.
As a start, you can use the SEARCH tab above to look for threads about clipping, healthy diet, and bonding.
Can you find an avian veterinarian to help you?
Even little lovebirds are very complicated, intelligent, and wonderful lifetime companions.
Please read and learn all you can, and ask questions.
We'll try to help.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I would start by clipping his other wing, only having one wing clipped is dangerous for the bird.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

mekaat

Mar 8, 2017
Media
pakistan
Parrots
Ring eye lovebirds and budgies
Welcome Levi.am sure the intention of man to clip only one side wings is to maintain the balance for bird as your bird have only one leg.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Treats, treats and more treats. You got to give him a reason to want to be with you. Start by feeding him treats thru the cage bars. Yes talk to him nice, warmly. But dont force him or chase him to get back into the cage ( that makes him not want to be with you). Take your time and work at your birds pace, not yours. Search this forum for tips on working with handicapped parrots, lots of good info.

mykero

Mar 15, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm a new member here.
About Migi, i think that the man of the pet store had a right action.
When i was a kid, i used to do the same thing like him with my birds. When we clip one wing of a bird, he don't have the balance, so he can't fly away from us.
But, why do you have to do this? Don't you have a cage for him Levi.?

Most Reactions