Never lose hope!!! PBFD update

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Maui was retested last week for the PBFD. Blood work came in today !!!!! shows he is completely free of any disease. This is the BEST day! Celebration time! FYI- he never showed signs of the disease just a routine blood test changed our lives!!!!

Maui has never been around other birds so we were really puzzled by the test results 3 months ago. I question human error. I will never know exactly what happened, if he shed the disease or never really had it! I am just happy to have a healthy bird.

SO happy! Now I will begin to work or harness training again!

Positive thinking and lots of love!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is wonderful news! So happy for you and Maui:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I bet! How scared you must have been, I can't even imagine:(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He probably never had it as there's no treatments available yet. Great news!!!! :)

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
that's excellent news

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Again, I'm glad you don't have it!!

PBFD is a scary one too. I read that it's a hardy and long lived virus in the environment and hard to kill. That's why I stopped going to birdmarts, and NEVER buy any products at bird stores that have birds around where the public bring birds in for grooming and the dust is flying all over the non-washable toys and everything. :11: I heard about mysafebirdstore.com from this site, so that is another good option to keep our beloved birds safe.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus

PBFD is a scary one too. I read that it's a hardy and long lived virus in the environment and hard to kill. That's why I stopped going to birdmarts, and NEVER buy any products at bird stores that have birds around where the public bring birds in for grooming and the dust is flying all over the non-washable toys and everything. :11: I heard about mysafebirdstore.com from this site, so that is another good option to keep our beloved birds safe.

But what do you do if you take your bird to get groomed where other birds have been or to the vet for that matter? I never take Oliver out but to get groomed or the vet and I'm always petrified he'll pick up other bird's "issues"...:rolleyes:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

But what do you do if you take your bird to get groomed where other birds have been or to the vet for that matter? I never take Oliver out but to get groomed or the vet and I'm always petrified he'll pick up other bird's "issues"...:rolleyes:

I just think that the more places we take our birds (or where we go and pick up dust on our clothes and poop residue on our shoe bottoms, or buy non-washable toys from bird inhabited environments) we ARE taking somewhat of a risk.
BUT... I figure too, we can't just live in a bubble, can't stop going to the vet for fear they'll pick up something there. We just have to take it on faith that they disinfect thoroughly enough. It's too bad there are these deadly contagious viruses in birds. With owning dogs, that isn't even an issue.

The reason I'm SO conscious of disease is because even with my level of paranoia, I STILL had a bird come down with PDD. The first Bronze Winged I had (before Raven). AND through talking with other bird owners who have had experience with it, I know for a fact it's not as rare as people think (and no accurate test for it) only necropsy.

My husband and I still DO go to the bird store every other weekend or so, where there are tons of baby birds out in stands, plus people bringing in their own birds, and having bird grooming. We wash up soon as we get home, but it's not like we're going to wash our shoes, shower, etc. I guess it's pretty much same risk as driving our car in traffic because fatal car collisions are pretty common too :52: can't stop living entirely lol, but it does always concern me.

natv

Jan 24, 2013
South Florida
Parrots
Eclectus - Vosmaeri
Glad your feathered friend is ok now. That must have been really scary, I can only imagine what you went through when you first found out.

Most Reactions