New 6 month old Sun conure

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
Hello
I have purchased my sun conure from local breeder yesterday. We brought Jill home yesterday. It was her first night she was very shy and scared, she is still scared if I put my finger in the cage. She runs away from me.
Since yesterday she is been sitting and seems very sleepy. Her eyes are keep closing.
She is eating fine I tried to give her food from my hand at first she was scared then she start taking bites.

I am just very nervous and confused why is she acting that way. When my brother saw her, he thinks she is older than 6 months. Can the breeder lie and provide me with fake certificate.

I also have green cheek he is 4 months old and he is hand full since the day we got him. That what makes me think more why is she like that.

I explained to the breeder about her situation and she told me it will take few days to week to get to know you. I have also read this online. Is this how the sun conure are? different then green cheek.

I am attaching the picture if experts ca tell me the age and something about Jill. Picture maybe not clear because i took it from my iphone

Thanks in advace

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,528
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,720
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,056

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Hi, Congrats on your new baby. I got my sun at 6 months old too. My sun was more typical and had a lot of green on her wings as a juvenile, but i think that is the general rule but not an absolute. (i went to look at some tiny babies and one of the bunch had a LOT of yellow coming in as a little baby).
if you have any concerns about the health, it's good to have the bird checked out by an avian vet you trust. I am getting a new conure next month and bringing him immediately for some tests to be sure he is ok.
Also sometimes birds get a mild infection just from stress...changing environments. I had a budgie get sick right after i got him, but it was very easy to treat with a few injections at the vet. He perked up fine and lived "happily ever after".
Good luck with your baby.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Moving to a new home can be a very shocking thing for a young bird. As your breeder said and you have read, it can take some time for them to relax and start feeling comfortable in their new surroundings. I would suggest finding a local bird vet and establishing a relationship with them just in case. If the bird does not start perking up after a couple more days a visit might be wise.

Another thing you can do if you have not already is start introducing some toys into the cage. Those are early pictures I'm sure but the cage is looking very bare. Put one or two in at a time because the cage probably has already become somewhat of a safe place and you don't want to alter it too much too fast. Natural branches and rope perches too cause wooden dowels are murder on a bird's feet. Can give them arthritis over time.

Keep giving the treats from your hand because that is a great way to build a relationship and trust. And it helps keep the energy up since he is stressed. Just like an individual, birds will behave in their own way to new situations. Some are fearless and slip right into a new situation like they have always been there. Others take a lot of time. It generally is not a green cheek trait compared to the traits of the sun conure as a species. So be patient and don't try to force the bird to move faster than it wants to. He will crack his shell before much longer and you will see the personality start to emerge.

Good luck with him!

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for replying guys really appriciated.
I have to be patient as all birds can't be same. Some can take time to get comfortable and some get comfortable right away.
By looking at the picture would you guys be able to tell if this is young one or older.
I will give her (Jill) more toys. I am just heading to the petsmart to get some for them.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Tough to say on the age. They can start to molt right around this time, so it could be close.

I would not worry about the comfort thing. It's a new environment and will take time getting used to.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
She looks young to me. Usually by the time they are a year old they have a lot more yellow and not as much green. It takes time for them to get used to their new home so just give her lots of time and patience.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
congrats on your new baby. she or he is beautiful. All three of my parrots were between 5 and 6 mo old when I got them but all three were hand fed and handtamed when I bought them so were more used to being handled and fortunatly they all new step up so they all settled right in. Yours might not have been handled that much just be patient and give him time and I am sure he will be your little love bug in no time:D

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks guys for the help.

@aliray when you got your birds where they similiar looking then mine or they had more green on them.

Kantia

Aug 18, 2012
UK, Leicester.
Parrots
Tich. A Green-Cheeked Blue Conure. Hatched 6th May 2012 <3
As everyone else has said, time and patience. I would have started by sitting by the cage and talking to him/her, maybe feeding treats through the bars then working my way up. See how things go and take it slow, it'll pay off in the end. :]

And your new baby is absolutely gorgeous! I love sun conures.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
You could always google 6 month old sun conure and compare the colors.

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
I did check it online some birds has more green some has less. so i don't know.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
Read to her! Grab a dictionary if it's all you have. Just sit there and read out loud. Patience and treats! You have to let them come to you when they are ready. After that you'll never get time alone!!

I don't know about the personality of a sun since I've never had one. But I'm sure it's around the same as green cheeks. And of course it takes time to get used to the hustle of the house. :) she will come around!

Congrats on your new baby she's gorgeous!! My next flock member will be a dusky, or sun conure. :):orange:

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks
I am noticing one more this is that she is closing her eyes since we got her. Could be this tired.
Positive note she is doing good now, still bit shy not as much.

WindyRed

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Yellow sided GCC, Turquoise GCC, four Cockatiels, BF Amazon, Bronze Wing Pionus, and a Bunch of Budgies!
It's entirely possible that she's tired.

It's very normal for birds to take naps during the day, and as everyone has said, it can take several days for a bird to totally settle in to a new house. During the time they're settling in, they're constantly "on alert," trying to watch everything to make sure they're not in any danger. If your bird has been "on alert" most of the time, she's had very little time to relax and nap the way she normally would leaving her very sleepy.

Something that might help her relax a little would be to cover part of her cage (maybe the back and half of one side) with a sheet or light blanket. This will give her one less part of her world she feels like she has to keep an eye on and she might be able to relax a bit more.

com520

Sep 1, 2012
Houston, Tx
Parrots
Sun Conure
okay this is what i did to make a bond, i got a jacket sweater and put him inside at night so he can cuddle with me. After he was kind of sleepy i put him back in the cage. I did it for about a week or so, he started to bond with me. After he got use to me he made the bond with my whole family. My family got a little larger..lol

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
Thanks guys
Jill is doing alot better since we got her. But she is still scared as when i touch her she squawk few times.
My green cheek doesn't like her at all right , i tried to get them be friend but no he is very hyper compare to my sin counre.
I asked this question to my sun conure breeder That why my green cheek is hyper and sun is very calm. She said Green cheeks are normally hyper than sun, is this right?

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
So Jill is doing alot better now. Thanks for all your help.
Who is more hyper Green cheek or Sun Conure

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
She is beautiful!! Everyone gave great advice, glad to hear she is settling in.

Ebella812

May 27, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Lucy - Sun/Gold Cap Conure mix - hatched on 2/9/12
All birds are like that when they first come home. Our Lucy was very shy and slept a lot when we first got her. They will open up to you eventually but they do occupy a lot of your time. Socialization is very important with you and whoever else in the house who will be handling her. They have to learn to trust you. Good luck!! You have a beautiful birdie :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts