New African Grey! Need Help :(

Meera830

Oct 19, 2013
Parrots
2 African Greys
I have just adopted a 8 year old African Grey named Lance. Lance is having some behavior problems and I am running out of options on what to do :(. I have had Lance for about 2 months now and before we adopted him we were told that he had 5 houses in the past 2 months :(. It really broke my heart when I heard this. After about two weeks of getting him my dog got out of his cage when we weren't home and attacked him. Thankfully, Lance only got a scratch but I feel like the emotional damage was done. Now Lance never leaves his cage and he is scared of everyone in the house except me. Lance will only let me touch him and pet him and is friendly with me ( he doesn't bite) . Occasionally, Lance will walk out of his cage and onto a nearby table if I put treats on it but he only does that sometimes. The only problem is when I am not touching him or petting him and just sitting next to his cage, he starts pulling out his feathers , so I am forced to leave the room :(. He only does this when I am just sitting next to him doing my homework. He is also scared of our other African Grey ( who is in the same room) but he still talks to him. I tried moving him into other rooms but he would just get more scared and I tried giving him the anxiety medication (Homeopet) but that doesn't help either. :( I am getting so desperate and I feel so bad for him.
I just want to know what I can do for him to leave his cage and not be so scared.

OP
M

Meera830

Oct 19, 2013
Parrots
2 African Greys
Also, I was wondering if I could keep his food outside of his cage but I think that maybe too mean.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I wouldn't keep his food out of his cage, he needs to eat throughout the day. I don't have a grey so I really can't help. Hopefully someone who does will be on here soon to help you. Hugs!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Perhaps try leave the cage door open ONLY when the dog is not in the same room.
In time I am sure Lance will come out, knowing it is safe.

OP
M

Meera830

Oct 19, 2013
Parrots
2 African Greys
Sorry I forgot to mention thAt we keep the dog and bird separated. They can't even see each other . Also, I can keep the cage door open the whole day pretty much and lance will come on top but he won't come down :(.

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
It's very possible that it may take a long time (like...many many months) for him to overcome his fear. Your great assets are patience and consistency - keeping the same schedule, the same actions, same food, same surroundings etc.

I'd also advise keeping his food in his cage. Also, try reading books to him. Sounds silly I know, but I bet it would help calm him.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts