New Alex Owner

kezzaj

Feb 3, 2014
Brisbane
Parrots
BoB my Alexandrine.
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the Alex world and I was wondering if I can pick your brains about a couple of things.

Our mate Bob is about 16 weeks old, we've only had him for 5 day so still learning his quirks. I've been doing so much reading my head is starting to spin..lol.. We are taking things slow so he can learn to trust us.

How much should I be feeding him? I give him fresh fruit and veggies, cereal and grain products and his seed but how much should I be giving him throughout the day? I don't want to under or over feed him :confused:

Also, when he is sitting on our chest, he will make a little grumble/arrghh/growly sound (haha, I'm sure THAT helps :p ) does that mean he's happy? Or is he grumpy with something we are doing? I don't see his eyes pining and his feathers are all ruffled so no telltale I'm angry signs but he does it when we move our hands so not sure which it means.

And lastly (for now..hehehe) how did you introduce your parrot to water? Did you use a squirt bottle on a fine mist?

Thanks for the help, it's muchly appreciated :green2:

Kez :)

Attachments

• Bob's.jpg
    Bob's.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 252

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
No one's ever told me how much to feed my birds, so I keep pellets available to them at all times. I doubt you can over feed a young bird as they're still growing. My Beaks usually feed first thing in the morning, then have a light pick at their food around midday and then another larger feed around five in the afternoon. Sometimes I see them picking around after dark, but not often.

I feed about a cup each of mixed vegetables every day: half in the morning and half in the evening. What I feed depends on what I happen to have at the time. Sometimes, I'll chop up lots of root veg and add in leafy greens or peas etc. Other times, I'll grate it coarsely and make chop. I always keep a packet of frozen mixed veg (the chunky kind with lots of greens) on hand for emergencies. The Beaks also like to have chopped fruit (usually apples, peaches, melon etc) and they get that when I happen to think of it - mostly mid-morning or mid-afternoon after a training session. I use the fruit to assist them in deciding to go home. :)

The grumbly beak-grinding noise means your birdie is happy and content. It's a lovely sound, I think. :)

My Beaks introduced themselves to water. I expected they'd bathe in the large dish I provided them with, but they didn't. One time, I happened to wash out some cups in the sink and before I knew it, I had a large, green, flapping hat! The Beaks got very turned-on by the water coming out of the tap and were clearly wanting to bathe, as they were crouching low with wings spread, all feathers at attention and mouths wide open! I tried to put them under the running tap, but they had a heart attack at the idea. So I reached for the squirt bottle I use to deter the cats from getting on the kitchen table. I put it on mist and the rest is history. Barney and Madge adore their shower! As soon as I pick up the squirt bottle, they're on me, swinging off my plait or hanging down in front of my face, begging to be wet. You will find that bathing your bird is one of the funniest, most bonding things you will do with him. Just place him on a perch and mist him very gently with a squirt bottle. He'll let you know what he wants to do: either he'll move out of the way or he'll galvanise into action by fluffing up his feathers and spreading his wings. Try to wet him right down to the skin (ie. mist between the feathers), especially on his back and breast and under his wings (which he will probably lift for you).

When you're done, you might like to try pointing a blow dryer at him. Have it on 'warm' and adjust the force, depending on where he is. I set mine on 'hurricane' because the Beaks like to sit 'way up on top of the shower curtain to be dried. If they come down to sit on my head, I turn the force setting right down. It's probably better to shower your bird early in the day. I wouldn't want to send him to bed still wet! In Brissy, you can probably get away with baths until later, as it's still hot at night. A young Alex ought to be in bed by the time the sun goes down as they need their twelve hours of sleep.

Try, if you can, to get your bird used to being petted on the body. Mine hate this and it's a nuisance because I can't handle them very well when I need to check out their feathers etc. Alexes aren't generally a cuddly bird and dislike being touched, but I reckon if you start early you could get yours used to it.

Hope this helps? I knew nothing about Alexes when I got mine and have learned everything I know right here. Don't be afraid to ask your questions - it's the very best way of finding out! :)

OP
kezzaj

kezzaj

Feb 3, 2014
Brisbane
Parrots
BoB my Alexandrine.
So far so good, I've been doing the same as you with the food. He's just started to mumble at night as he's drifting off to sleep! Yahh..

Will give him a squirt today with some water and see how he goes, sure hot enough for it here in Brisbane for it!

I have been making sure I pet his head so he gets used to it so will keep persevering so he'll get used to it.

Thanks for the reply :D

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Hello fellow Alex owner. :)

I too leave a bowl of pellets available all the time. Bundii gets her veggies in the afternoon once I am home from work. There is not enough time in the morning. She gets about a cup of mixed fruit and veggies. This is usually a mixture of corn on the cob, grapes, apples, carrot (both cooked and raw), celery, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pomegranate, kale, bok choy, and any other fruit or veggie that I have laying around.

Like Trish's guys, Bundii just took to the water herself. The first time I noticed her bathing was whilst vacuuming. She will generally bath while I vacuum even now. Other times she will like a misting from the spray bottle. We have tried the shower but it has not been a success yet. We will keep trying.

Anyway best of luck with Bob. Please keep checking back here as you will be able to gather huge amounts of information.

OP
kezzaj

kezzaj

Feb 3, 2014
Brisbane
Parrots
BoB my Alexandrine.
I don't tend to give him much seed, more fruit and veggies. I gave him his first shower today with the squirt bottle, he loved it, yahh..

Thanks again :)

Most Reactions