MissMistie

Jul 12, 2017
Media
Marysville, Wa
Parrots
Max ~ IRN
Chuckie ~ Yellow Naped Amazon
Jinx ~ Quaker
A couple of weeks ago I rescued Chuckie from a lady that has brain cancer. She could no longer give him the care or the time that he needs. She had him for 25 years.
Over these couple of weeks he has taken to me really well, but he lunges and tries to bite my fiance' if he tries to get close to him. Chuckie has adapted to his new environment quicker than I thought he would, he even calls one of the dogs by name now. I know it's going to take some time for him to adjust to my fiance', I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on making that process smoother for both of them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World Of Amazons and Parrot Forums!

There are two Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum High lighted in light blue that highly recommended! Please start with Understanding Body Language. Simply sit down next to your Amazon and read aloud, while reading that and other Threads. Amazons Love to be read too!

Over the last three to four pages of the Amazon Forum is a series of wonderful Threads that will be a great resource and information base as they are addressing the same questions and events that you are!

Will be back with more tomorrow!

Enjoy, after all, Amazon's Have More Fun!

Panama

Dec 21, 2016
Southeastern United States
Parrots
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
A couple of weeks ago I rescued Chuckie from a lady that has brain cancer. She could no longer give him the care or the time that he needs. She had him for 25 years.
Over these couple of weeks he has taken to me really well, but he lunges and tries to bite my fiance' if he tries to get close to him. Chuckie has adapted to his new environment quicker than I thought he would, he even calls one of the dogs by name now. I know it's going to take some time for him to adjust to my fiance', I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on making that process smoother for both of them.

I have basically the same scenario. I rescued a 34 year old male amazon from a lady who had cancer and could no longer take care of him. She had him since he was 6 months old. He quickly bonded with my husband, but hates me! We have had Panama 2 years now, and my husband is definitely the favorite human. Over the past two years I have read and read and read anything and everything I could get my hands on to try and figure out what I can do to make him like me. It has gotten slightly better, but I still cannot handle (hold) Panama. He tolerates me at this point, and we have an understanding :) I give him his distance, and he for the most part has quit chasing me at any opportunity he gets! I can give him scratches through the cage and on occasion he tolerates me enough to let me give him head scratches when he is out on his java tree. But for the most part, I just keep my distance and love him from a distance! He gets plenty of hands on attention and love from my husband. I am still the one who cleans, feeds, waters, give treats, all of that, but he just seems to love my husband more than me :) Neither my husband or I are experts by any means, we continue to read and research and learn as we go. My suggestion to you is just patience, patience, patience! From what I have been told, Amazons are notorious for bonding with one specific person, and tending to just "tolerate" other people. It takes time, but lots of patience can help! Have the less favorite human read to him, sit near his cage and talk to him. Just don't rush anything with him. Let Chuckie come to your fiancé on his own terms. Amazons are amazing, and have so much character and love to give...but on their own terms! Best of luck!

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
Least favorite humans are in charge of hand feeding special treats in our house.
It has made a difference for us, however she can still be a pill at times.

Most Reactions