New and looking for suggestions

Ryra22

Jul 9, 2012
Hi everyone title pretty much says it all. I've always been interested in parrots and am just looking for some suggestions or perhaps a point in the right direction.

I'm considering getting a bird sometime in the future (next few years) and am looking for some suggestions from experienced owners

Essentially what I'm looking for is a social bird, both in terms of people and one that was somewhat tolerant of being around dogs (2 maximum). And one that isn't known to be extremely noisy. I understand that all birds make noise, which I'm ok with. However, I'd prefer a bird that wasn't extremely loud all the time with screeching/squawking

Anyways sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!! :D

Edit: also wanted to add that I'll most likely have a standard 40 hour job at the time I'd be ready for the bird. That being said I'd be more than willing (I'd think I'd look forward to) interacting with the bird when I was home

Last edited:

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
you should probably get 2 birds. be aware that you will have to be quite carefull with the dogs around. :) But i am not that experienced.

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Quakers are a good bird for someone that's not owned one before and yes as with all bird they have their noisy moments but not to bad they are easy to care for. But working 40 hour week could mean your be away from them 8 or more hours aday, which means they could get lonely unless you have some one to check on them dueing that time. And lonely bird get noisy when you return because they miss the company. My Quakers get along fine with my dogs Ok my dogs are scared of them and stay away. But not all dog are like that. Best never to leave bird and dog or cat alone no matter how well you think they are getting along together as thing can happen.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Welcome to the forums...

I'd be looking for birds, who are known to be independent... Indian Ringneck, Alexandrine, Quakers, some conures and Eclectus... It'll be up to you to teach them independence, if you get a baby...

A lot of people with parrots work fulltime... How else can we afford to keep them? :rolleyes:

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
It's great to see that you're planning ahead! I agree with the suggestion to get an independent bird. Additionally, look for species that are known for being more emotion stable, since it is your first bird (ie, not a cockatoo! Lol).

Of course, one should always keep in mind that, like everything and everyone, both nature and nurture play a roll in a bird's behavior. So both the birds personality and its learned behavior (problem screaming, not to be confused with normal vocalizing, is a learned behavior) will determine how loud/quiet, dependent/independent the bird is in addition to the species. Fortunately you've got lots of time to research, and your interactions with your parrot and what behaviors you encourage or discourage plays a huge roll.

I work 40 hours a week, too. Since I got my senegal I've gotten her used to playing independantly, and provide lots of enrichment (toys, new foods, music, etc) to keep her busy. Not to say I don't give her attention of course, but it is so, so important your bird learn to keep itself busy and not be a "velcro" bird.

Last edited:

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Be careful of dogs/cats. Their bacteria can be poison to birds and some dogs can snatch birds out of the air when they fly over head. So keep a close eye on that.

Otherwise, suggestion wise, there have been some good suggestions thus far. :)

Some of your smaller guys are nice. Budgies noise level isn't too bad and they can bond with you, but may not happen as much with two. Some conures are cuddlebugs, but they can be noisy depending on the breed (e.g. Suns)

Most Reactions