New and Newer

Newbe

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
Two Green Cheek Conures, female and male
I have two Green Cheek Conures, one male and one female. I have them 5 days and am totally new to birds of any kind. They are still very much afraid of me. They are going on 2 yrs old and have been relatively quiet since the first 2 days. The breeder had them in a cage with many many other birds. They are a pair for sure, they eat together and hang together. About how long will it take for them to get use to me and their surroundings. What can I do to help them along.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 10

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

It can take a few days to a few months for new birds to settle in, towords the latter if they are a 'pair'. Take your time and NEVER rush things with parrots. THey are all about trust so always measure your actions against that.

OP
Newbe

Newbe

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
Thank you for your response, I have not opened the cage door yet, my thinking is if they fly out who knows if they will fly back in. Their cage is in my office so I'm in here a lot so what are your thoughts on letting them out of the cage

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
CHASING a parrot to get them back into the cage is probably the #1 or 2 trust busting action a human can do! Wait until they are comfortable with you next to the cage and giving treats inside th cage.

OP
Newbe

Newbe

Feb 7, 2024
Parrots
My two GCC are a bonded pair, every now and then I see the male put one of his claws on the back of the female. is that a mating approach cause the female ignores him

Most Reactions

Latest posts