Greencheek breeding

NDCAG

Apr 11, 2014
I just purchased a bonded pair of green cheeks. They are not related, 2 years old and healthy. I was intending to offer them a nest box eventually after having them to an avian vet. However these two have been mating a lot the past 3 days! Everything I was finding about breeding these guys says they mate in February so I thought I had some time.

1) I used to breed cockatiels and had great luck with them
2) I have owned all types of birds over the past 35 years. From finches to cockatoos and macaws.

This is my first time trying to breed greencheek conures. So what I am asking… should I be preparing a nest box?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
ummmm probably....

I'm no expert but it seems like you already know the answer.

OP
N

NDCAG

Apr 11, 2014
ummmm probably....

I'm no expert but it seems like you already know the answer.
My issue was that everywhere I was looking online it was saying that green cheeks breed in February or early spring. My cockatiels would breed all year it didn’t matter to them, but I wasn’t expecting to see activity from these guys yet. I just got them 8 days ago then was gone 4 days for work and home with COVID for 4 days (hence the ability to catch them so many times). But I haven’t even gotten them to a vet yet.

Danny1

Oct 18, 2023
Parrots
2 Sun Conure
I’m new to parrots myself but isn’t this the “hormonal” issue that a lot of people speak about? I read that offering things that mimic nesting spots or even touching the back of your bird will trigger these hormones. Not sure if any of this is true or if it’s even breeding hormones that this triggers I just always hear the word “hormonal”. Maybe someone can clarify this for me.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I just purchased a bonded pair of green cheeks. They are not related, 2 years old and healthy. I was intending to offer them a nest box eventually after having them to an avian vet. However these two have been mating a lot the past 3 days! Everything I was finding about breeding these guys says they mate in February so I thought I had some time.

1) I used to breed cockatiels and had great luck with them
2) I have owned all types of birds over the past 35 years. From finches to cockatoos and macaws.

This is my first time trying to breed greencheek conures. So what I am asking… should I be preparing a nest box?
Parrots in captivity often breed year. My budgies have bred or tried to in October, November, December, January, and June. As long as food is plentiful, the temperature is comfortable, they have access to a place to lay eggs (a food dish, even), and the breeders like each other, they can breed anytime!

Have fun! I just LOVE baby birds and hand raising them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts