New Article: Female Gouldian Finches “Cheat” to Acquire Better Genes

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,

Please check out: Gouldian Finch Infidelity

Recent studies of the Gouldian Finch (Erythrura gouldiae), an endangered species and popular pet, have revealed that females readily copulate with males other than their mates in order to ensure that the young acquire the best possible genes. Read article here:
Gouldian Finch Infidelity - Cheating to Acquire Better Genes | That Bird Blog

Comments and questions appreciated,

Thanks, Frank
http://twitter.com/#!/findiviglio
Frank Indiviglio | Facebook
Bio: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist Frank Indiviglio to That Avian Blog | That Bird Blog

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
Parakeet: Rio
well that sure is interesting, i wonder what they do to "go through great lengths" to keep their mates from seeing, and how they actually choose the sperm etc. Hmmm quite mind boggling but cool to know and thos e are some very pretty birds!!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
well that sure is interesting, i wonder what they do to "go through great lengths" to keep their mates from seeing, and how they actually choose the sperm etc. Hmmm quite mind boggling but cool to know and thos e are some very pretty birds!!

Hi, thanks,

The sperm competition phenomenon is really quite amazing; seeing it in snakes, inverts and others as well, but details as to mechanics not well known. "Sneaking" around is behavioral, and happens in many other bird species as well - "affairs" are conducted out of the mate's sight (I won;t draw human parallels, but...!). Best, Frank

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thanks Frank for another great article!!! A lot of animals do that, even people....

Most Reactions

Latest posts