New Article: Pygmy Parrots – Tiny Lichen-Eaters that move like Woodpeckers

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,

I recently attended a fascinating lecture on Island Bird Diversity at the American Museum of Natural History. Two Pygmy Parrot species – the Red-Breasted (Micropsitta bruijni) and the Finsch’s (M. finschii) – drew the speaker to the Solomon Islands. In reflecting back on the talk afterwards, I realized that, despite my interest, I had yet to observe a live Pygmy Parrot. They’ve never been in the collection of the Bronx Zoo, where I worked for over 20 years, and only rarely appear in museums. Further research turned up one interesting field report, but it seems that we still know very little about these smallest and, arguably, most unusual of all parrots. Read article here: Pygmy Parrots - Thumb-Sized Lichen-Eaters that move like Woodpeckers | That Bird Blog

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Bird Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Bird Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank

My Bio That Bird Blog Authors | That Bird Blog

Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol yeah, you won't have a flock with them but a swarm lol, there so cute an all

Most Reactions