New B&G Macaw

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
I picked up my Olie today. He is 8 yo. When I asked the owner what all he eats and he told me all he eats is LM Animal Farms Large Parrot diet. I ask about treats they said no I ask about fruits and veges they said no. This bird is beautiful and smart he loves me and when I said step up he was on my arm. We played music tonight and he danced. He does do some talking. These people said they had him 3 years. But when he took him out of the cage he didn't act like he knew what he was doing. Then he also acted like he was afraid of him. I asked are you going to miss him he said no. Do you think they really had this bird 3 years? They cage he gave me is new and play stand is new and only charged me 500.00 for all. Where the cage was setting on the carpet didn't look bad only thing the facing on the backdoor was chewed. So here I am any suggestions on brand of food, treats, I offered lettuce and oranges he acted like he didn't like them I think he just never had them. He is sweet to me. Oh and there were NO toys anywhere.

I called ahead of time and ask for a list of his likes and dislikes, diet, what he like to say and do, shots if any. They didn't say one word about him or give me a list. They just wanted to get rid of him fast. do they need shots? I am on my own.

Last edited:
OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
What does the silver band on his leg mean?

TheGinster

Sep 23, 2013
The band was put on as a baby. It is info on the breeder. I have been reading a lot of material online & in books about parrots as I await the arrival of my new Blue Gold Macaw. I have read that you need to be patient when introducing new foods. He may not like it at first, but don't give up. They can eat a huge range of fruits & vegies. There are receipes onl7ne for food you can prepare. I was surprised at how much of a variety there is. The book I am presently reading is "Good Parrotkeeping by Robin Deutsch". This book covers a lot. Also, I have learned it is cheaper to make your own toys. Try this book. It tells you what is good & bad for your bird. Good luck. Ginny:sly:

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
This may sound weird or gross but when we first brought home our baby B&G she wouldn't try anything new so I thought of bird parents and took a bite of fruit and fed her by putting it in her beak from my lips. Just kinda pushed it in her beak. It worked! My hubby was grossed out at first but started doing it too cuz she would eat it afterwards on her own if she liked it. We no longer have to do since she's older and trusts us more now I believe. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You would never know how long he's had the macaw. Just hard to say, he may be telling the truth or he may not be. When I bring home a new bird I always keep them on their original diet and don't start to try to change it until a month later. You need to give them time to adjust to the new surrounding so since he's still in the same cage, he would feel more comfortable. What you say Lettuce you mean Iceberg or Romaine? Iceberg lettuce tend to give them diarrhea so please don't ever feed that to any bird if that's what your trying to feed. You can start by giving a bowl mixed of veggies and fruits such as romaine lettuce, broccoli, carrots, celery, kale, grapes, apples, pears, pomagrante, strawberry, banana, mango, kiwi, cantaloupe, water melon, etc. I just listed some items, there is more safe items to feed your birds, please do look those up if you don't know what they are as some things are toxic to birds. After he's fully settled in, if you have intention on transitioning him to pellets, it would be time to do it after settling. The way I do it is I offer fruit and veggies during the day along with the pellets in another bowl at all times. Then evening time I give just a table spoon full of seeds. Then repeat the next day, during any time if you see him eating the pellets real good, skip the seeds and don't feed it anymore. You can either give it away or feed it to outside birds but don't feed it to him. Also skip any nut treats period for the time being! Wait a month or so when he's fully adjusted to the new diet regimen before you start to offer treats once again. You must be persistent in order for this to work!

His leg band is his ID number from his breeder.

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Goodness thank you. I need all the help. He didn't eat the food they gave me to feed him. But this morning I was fixing me oatmeal and the toot ate atleast 2 teaspoons. He talks, dances and is smart and will letting me pet him. He will bite tho but in time I hope that stops. I tell him no and walk away and don't play with him. Any suggestions on biting. I am afraid but try not to show it.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

TheGinster

Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for the linis. I am awaiting the delivery of my new Blue Gold Macaw. Have read, literally, a ton of info. Now U have added more, BUT, in a very good way. I am new to this, hence, all the research. Also why I joined this forum. I welcome any & all opinions & suggestions.:sly:

Most Reactions

Latest posts