New baby parrotlets!!

maryyy361

Aug 31, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Meyer Parrot: Charlie
Parrotlets: Major and Tango
Peach-faced Lovebird: Eleanor
I'm getting two little boy parrotlets soon and I'm very excited. I was wondering from parrotlet owners some of their common likes and dislikes and what to expect. I know they are very hyper but I'm setting up their cage and wondering what kind of toys I should get; foraging toys? Wooden? Lots of perches? Etc.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

Last edited:

BridalWreath

Jun 18, 2014
Yay for Parrotlets! You seriously won't be disappointed.

I like to call them the "big boy in the little boy body". Parrotletts are known for their fearlessness and tend to have the personality of their cousin, the Amazon. They are playful and tend to like to get into trouble at times. They also can be grouchy and somewhat nippy but even with their attitude, I find them willing to please and satisfy their owners.

Oh and must I mention some of them are cuddlebugs? Mine seriously cannot resist cuddling up his body against my neck and grinding his beak.

As for toys, give him a variety. Mine personally loves ladders and will do anything to climb one. He also likes any preening toy as well as something that swings. He also likes his wooden toys as well. Though, I will let you know that parrotlets can be destructive. I bought Loki, my parrotlet, a preening toy once, only to have it be pulled apart within a matter of hours.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations on your parrotlets! At a bird store the other day, I was able to pick up a Parrotlet for the first time! Usually at a store they will have the tiny species in cages, I guess so they don't get lost or stepped on? Only the bigger ones are usually on stands. This store had a Parrotlet on a stand so I was actually able to touch him. :) The tiny little thing was SO adorable! It was American Yellow I believe? It's name was lemonade lol.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
At Mary ..congrats. they are mini amazons, so read up on both here. They are absolutely fearless with other birds and animals , which can be a problem if you have other pets. Some are rather good talker, most are not. The green males are thought to be the best in that regard. That fearless quality also extends to day to day life. Flighted 'Letts will get into everything, some harmless, some not. They are funny as hell to watch they are so energetic I find. Socialize your pair well and they will be you buddy's for life.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
For toys think small. Toys meant for amazons and macaws are use.less. Think small bird. If they like to chew, try pieces of balsa wood.
Salty is a small amzon, and refuses to chew pine. Think stuff with dangley paper, hanging ladders, hanging ropes. Plastic bottle caps make great foot toys. Cheap too.

Eitak579

Sep 23, 2015
Endless Mountains- NEPA
Parrots
Eclectus: Johnny Dangerously, Parrotlets: Blue and Yellow
I'm getting two little boy parrotlets soon and I'm very excited. I was wondering from parrotlet owners some of their common likes and dislikes and what to expect. I know they are very hyper but I'm setting up their cage and wondering what kind of toys I should get; foraging toys? Wooden? Lots of perches? Etc.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

As babies they should be fine together but as they get older, depending on their relationship, you may find the need to house them separately. I have a male/female pair and they bicker frequently, but nothing serious yet! We have them out of the cage as long as we’re home and have a large backyard aviary for them in the summer. They’re both very tame, I’ve had them since babies, but are also bonded to each other and prefer each other’s company. A lot of one on one helps if you want them to bond to you as well.

In my research a lot of the resources caution against feeding pellets, especially to mutations, so we feed fresh and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Blend to leave in the cage when we’re not home.

Last a quick warning, we initially adopted two sisters and as careful as we were, the little clipped green girl flew two rooms over near our dog who accidently stepped on her. It was heartbreaking. They love to play on the floor and I’m constantly picking them up and keeping a close eye on their whereabouts- they refuse to stay on their play stands.

Congratulations on your babies, you’ll never be disappointed and as others have mentioned, they’re complete clowns and balls of energy. Enjoy and post pics when they arrive!

Most Reactions