New & bigger tank for Mr. Newt

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sadly, for as much effort as I put into it, the tiki tank cover just wasn't practical and made cleaning/feeding extremely difficult (even though I tried to account for it with special doors and everything):( I will be keeping it and perhaps use it to highlight some plants or something that is not a living creature with care needs.

I have had my eyes peeled (and a little money stashed) for a while now to get a little bigger tank if I saw the right deal. I found the coolest "half moon" tank at Petsmart yesterday, and not only was it on sale, it had a further discount because the box was damaged (not the tank, literally just the packaging!). I just couldn't pass it up! Maybe it's because I don't look in the aquatics section much, but I've never seen this size tank in a half-moon. Always much much larger or those tiny ones for beta fish. I have also been looking for better rocks. The black ones I got when I redid the tank a few months ago were bigger that I had used in the past, and I did not realize that the uneaten food and waste would fall between them and be near impossible to suction out! Since they did not have an appropriate substrate I liked the color of in a big bag, I ended up buying all their gray beta bowl rocks (10 bags! they were small packages lol):p With the discount because of the ripped up box, I was able to get this 10 gallon tank, background and new substrate for under $100. Looks really cool too! And Mr. Newt seem to enjoy the additional swimming room and larger filter. He likes sitting on the filter, where the water runs over his belly, but the filter in the old tank was small and flimsy and he would knock it off all the time. This one is much bigger and more durable! He's been very active and explorative this morning, though he just sat there like a lump when I was taking pictures:rolleyes: Kiwi seems jealous though, he has been in a most "difficult" mood this morning.... "You upgraded that glorified aquatic lizard's tank before you bought me a palatial cage? You'll pay for that!!!:green: (We're getting there Kiwi!). Anyways, here it is!:

DSC_6413_zps6737b0a4.jpg

DSC_6414_zps2dd08501.jpg

DSC_6415_zps195109e2.jpg

DSC_6416_zpsda65d641.jpg

DSC_6417_zpsb0ab556d.jpg

P.S. For those who don't know, the reason it's only half-full is the newt is semi-aqautic and needs the ledge to be able to come out of the water and sit on to dry out. And while there is a clear lid on this tank, I still think making it near impossible for him to get anywhere near the top is best;)

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Kiwi seems jealous though, he has been in a most "difficult" mood this morning.... "You upgraded that glorified aquatic lizard's tank before you bought me a palatial cage? You'll pay for that!!!

LOL!! :D I can definitely see Kiwi saying that! The new tank is beautiful. As always, Mr. Newt is looking very spoiled sunbathing in luxury :). Nice find!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi seems jealous though, he has been in a most "difficult" mood this morning.... "You upgraded that glorified aquatic lizard's tank before you bought me a palatial cage? You'll pay for that!!!

LOL!! :D I can definitely see Kiwi saying that! The new tank is beautiful. As always, Mr. Newt is looking very spoiled sunbathing in luxury :). Nice find!

I tried explaining if his cage would only cost $70/80, I'd have ordered it weeks ago;) He gave me some kind of grunt of displeasure in response:31:

Mr. Newt is happy though! More water to swim in and a bigger filter to sit in:D

Most Reactions