New bird owner! Just saying HI!

RachelMarie

Mar 7, 2012
Hi everyone. My husband randomly brought home a bird Monday. A Nanday Conure. That's right, the loudest of loud. His co worker went out to feed her horses and this pretty little fella flew onto her head and jumped down to her shoulders and gave her kisses. She tried finding it's owner to no avail and couldn't keep it herself (too many animals inside). So after a month of searching for it's owners she asked if we could step up to the challenge know that we are animal lovers.
Gotta admit, I was a bit nervous...and rather intimidated. But I always wanted a Conure. Now I have one. I'm a Stay at Home Mom of a 4 year old and one on the way. We haven't named the bird yet (any suggestions?) but I have been researching like crazy. It's a flyer and a lover. Doesn't know many commands but is very well behaved (minus the ear piercing screeches from time to time). It loves our Dog (My dog loves it, supervised, of course). And my daughter is so very excited. Wen't out and got it a really nice cage after he brought it home and it seems to enjoy the toys and such.
I'm really interested in training it, and have the time to do so.

So...that's where I am. :) I'm new to this and learning but am so happy to have this amazing creature to teach me. I feel very blessed. :)

Hope to meet some new folks...maybe some in the area (central florida). And prepare yourself...I'll be asking ALL of those dumb newbie questions. :)

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Welcome to the forum! There are lots and lots of conure owners here so hopefully we can help you out. I also know of one very helpful forum member (roxynoodle) who has a Nanday so she can probably give you some advice specific to Nandays. We would love to see some pictures of your new bird!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Hi RachelMarie and welcome !
Sounds like you have a great new little friend :)
There are alot of Conure owners here and I'm sure they will be able to answer all the questions you may have. No question is a silly question either, so ask away :)
I have two Cockatoos and a dozen or so budgies , lol.

One thing , have you checked the lost and found ads or maybe googled the closest parrot society to you ? They may have someone that posted a lost Conure and is still looking.

One thing I will tell you though is you should plan on making a visit to a avian vet just to make sure things are fine with your bird.

I will leave you with that bit of info because there are people who have Conures and know more about their diet and behaviour then I do. But good luck and enjoy your new found friend :)

OP
R

RachelMarie

Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the welcome's! I've signed up to numerous "Parrot Forums" in the last 36 hours. :)

I have looked on as many sites as I could find trying to find it's owner as well as the co worker of my husbands. She has posted flyers all over the county expecting someone to speak up. I'm not stopping though, because he's too friendly to not be loved! :)
I have contacted an avian vet (near here) and have an apt set up soon. Not sure if I'll be doing the DNA testing yet or not. I'm not super concerned about the sex, right now. Right now, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is right. It's a total lifestyle change (imo), but a fun one. SO much personality for such a small animal. lol.
I will def' post some pictures tomorrow. I've looked around the net...A LOT and found this site to be one of the most helpful. So excited to start this journey! :)

I'm going to ask one question right now...mostly because he just did it. The little fella tends to grab my finger (or ear) with his beak and shake me. Doesn't hurt at all, I don't think he's mad. But what does that mean (if anything)? He also Rubs his beak on my hand or shoulder. Like he's cleaning it or something...Just wondering what all these little things mean. lol

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Thanks for the welcome's! I've signed up to numerous "Parrot Forums" in the last 36 hours. :)

I have looked on as many sites as I could find trying to find it's owner as well as the co worker of my husbands. She has posted flyers all over the county expecting someone to speak up. I'm not stopping though, because he's too friendly to not be loved! :)
I have contacted an avian vet (near here) and have an apt set up soon. Not sure if I'll be doing the DNA testing yet or not. I'm not super concerned about the sex, right now. Right now, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is right. It's a total lifestyle change (imo), but a fun one. SO much personality for such a small animal. lol.
I will def' post some pictures tomorrow. I've looked around the net...A LOT and found this site to be one of the most helpful. So excited to start this journey! :)

I'm going to ask one question right now...mostly because he just did it. The little fella tends to grab my finger (or ear) with his beak and shake me. Doesn't hurt at all, I don't think he's mad. But what does that mean (if anything)? He also Rubs his beak on my hand or shoulder. Like he's cleaning it or something...Just wondering what all these little things mean. lol

I'm not really sure about the grabbing/shaking thing, but rubbing his beak on you is usually a sign of affection :)

OP
R

RachelMarie

Mar 7, 2012
Awesome. Affection is a good thing. He kind of bonded with my husband at first, I'm guessing because he brought him home. But today, I had the whole day with him to myself. Def' got a glimpse of his personality. And though his scream is loud...he's usually pretty calm.
The shaking thing cracks me up. His whole head seriously vibrates with my finger in his mouth. He kisses me a lot! Right now we're just calling "him"...Pretty Bird. Still looking for something to stick with. lol.
We were having a heck of a time getting him back IN his cage. He was obviously allowed free roam of the house...but prefers a shoulder to sit on. I've turned off all of my ceiling fans and he gets around really good. Can't wait to do some more formal training with him. I had him shaking his head "yes" earlier when I asked if he was a pretty bird. Too stinking adorable. There is SO much to learn and I know these forums are a great place to start. We went to a Pet Store to get a cage (we needed it right now) and they were trying to talk me into clipping his wings. NO way. Birds are meant to fly...and he's good at it. It's nice having a place I can ask questions....

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Welcome to the flock! I have a Green Cheek Conure (River) and a Congo African Grey (Pepper). :)

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Sounds like you and your Husband's co-worker went through a lot to try to find the owners so I get unless he is microchipped you have a new bird :).

He sounds like a doll, Congrats :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum, if you guys tried all you can with no one stepping up claiming the bird. He would be yours to keep and it's wonderful you guys are learning about him as you go. Congrats!!!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome:D There are lots of Conure Owners on here that will be able to give you some great advice

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Welcome to our flock! I would say the grabbing and shaking is playing. My Nanday does that all the time with her toys and other objects, but thankfully not with my ears, lol! My amazon kind of does that with my finger though, but I don't encourage him knowing the force his bite could put on me.

Nandays love to play with pretty much every type of toy there is. They are huge chewers so provide plenty of wood toys and perches. Be prepared to replace perches once in awhile, lol! Mine has managed to go falling to the bottom of her cage on a few occasions with her perches. She also really loves bells although the first thing she does is remove the clappers. They love to bathe so be careful it doesn't fly into a toilet, a sink of dishes or liquids cooking on the stove top. They are very, very active and go from thing to thing all the time.

Oh, and you might want to wear icky clothes around the house because they love to sample materials and make holes in your clothes. Be careful of jewelry and earrings as well.

OP
R

RachelMarie

Mar 7, 2012
"Icky clothes"...check.
Watch piercings...check. (He got a hold of my nose ring a few times. Not fun).
I was rinsing dishes yesterday (cold water, thank god. and no soaps) and he jumped right down there and did a little dance in the water. :) Watch liquids...CHECK. lol.

Thanks for the advice, I hear you are the one to talk to here about my Nanday! :)

One more question right now....This all was so very unexpected. Ironically we have vacation coming up in less than 3 weeks. We will be up North (Your way, actually) for 2 weeks. We have a room-mate who can care for him but I also know that he won't give him free range of the house as much as we do! I've been trying to think of something to do to keep him entertained while in the cage. I figure I'll set aside a different (new) toy for every day we're gone (And treats), along with a list of things our friend should do for him. Will this be sufficient? How long should I tell him he MUST be played with for (or at least out to roam)?

I feel bad cuz he's getting mighty attached to us, but this is a trip we had planned long before the "pretty bird" came. Thought about taking him with but it's a REALLY long drive (23 hours) and we'll be staying with someone who has a LOT of animals and I don't think it would be safe for him!
Thanks in advance! :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I guess question one is is this friend a bird person who won't be afraid of the bird and who can get it back in the cage? If not, it would be safest for him to stay in the cage while you are gone. The great thing about conures though is they entertain themselves very well! A few toys and they are good. A TV or radio left on for a time can help, too. Mine loves TV and music.

OP
R

RachelMarie

Mar 7, 2012
He's not scared of him...but now that you mention it, I'm not sure he'll be comfortable enough to get him back IN the cage. Heck, I have a hard time getting him in the cage. It seems like the previous owner let him fly free most of the time. He goes to his cage to eat...HATES being locked up in it except at night time. I'll make sure he turns a radio or TV on when he leaves for work! Thanks for that idea. Hadn't thought of it.
Do you think the bird will be hostile after being in a cage for 2 weeks, when we get home? Thanks again, Roxy! :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
He will probably be totally thrilled to see you! I realize he isn't going to like being in the cage all that time, but it might be the safest option for him. It might be better than being chased around the house to be caught, or grabbed and then becoming afraid of hands. No one I've had pet sit could have let my birds out for me.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
In reponse to your questions. Yes some parrots will pull your ear for attention. Many of the larger flick their beak to throw liquid like orange juice off. They will rub their beake against something hard such as the perch to finish cleaning. D.D.

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
Welcome.

Make sure your bird sitter knows to close all toilets and to turn off all fans.

My daughter has a Sun Conure. It's a shame they only come with one volume level...

Most Reactions

Latest posts