New Bird today:)

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
Was sold a BFA and now found he is a OWA.."Gus"
Today, I adopted my daughter's Amazon parrot...DNA proven male "Sam".
Today I added a DNA sexed male african grey...he was my daughters..he is sweet, large vocabulary! I also have an OW Zon, male (although not DNA tested. My OWA is going crazy...very vocal...fanning and showing off....can 2 males get along?? My OWA is giving tons more kisses than usual to me,...are they able to feel jealousy? How do I know if it is competition or just excited to have another bird frind?

OP
K

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
Was sold a BFA and now found he is a OWA.."Gus"
Today, I adopted my daughter's Amazon parrot...DNA proven male "Sam".
Or might my OWA be female??? "Gus" (thought to be male) is kind of going crazy...went over to Amazon cage...they didn't urt each other but there was some pecking at each other!! Help! I covered OWA cage and he found a small corner not covered and is peering out at the Grey!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Birds most DEFINITELY feel jealousy! It's often a huge problem in over bonded birds that are naturally pair-bond birds in the wild. My conure, for example, has exhibited extreme jealousy issues in the past. Thankfully we've worked past most of them, and as a result she is no longer a shoulder bird in my household. My IRN also shows jealousy issues, but not regarding human-to-human interaction.

Birds will often work out their own hierarchies, but if you feel that one bird is a danger to the other, do not let them out together unsupervised. You will have to work with each bird to create a neutral environment where neither feels they are "king of the castle". There's no guarantee they will ever become friends, and no guarantee that they will not. By the sounds of it, your OWA does not enjoy having someone coming into his territory and interacting with his mate.

I'm hoping that someone who was large-bird experience will help you out more with jealousy issues with these two. Unfortunately I only know of what it's like between two small birds, and because of their size they are very easy to manage.

Either way, congratulations on your new addition!

Most Reactions

Latest posts