New cage for Skye

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
So the assembly was a pain, mostly because pieces arrived bent out of shape. All my worries about Skye moving into the new cage were for naught. He was all to happy to take advantage of his new larger space. I still don’t think the size is ideal, however, with the bologna that we went through for a custom cage...and that major disappointment amazon was a sure bet. Pics below, let me know what you think! I was in super stealth mode to get the pic of Skye in the cage, he still panics when he see’s the phone. I had to send some of his toys back because they just won’t work with this (smaller than planned) space.

View attachment 23445View attachment 23444

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You must like a minimalist look lol. There is absolutely tons of room for tons of toys!!! This cage is a perfect size for him .
You need to get rid of the dowels and add tons of perches , ladders, swings , hoops, bungie ECT.
Personally I'd have like 15 toys in there. And hang toys low by perches so he can interact with them
https://images.app.goo.gl/zW5CBAjNN4yRZ4627

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I have more perches and toys but I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed with everything. I also wanted to make sure he has plenty of room to stretch his wings. There is another rope that’s long and twisted, another swing toy, a bath that will fit in one of the side doors...he also has a shredder cube toy and a homemade toy in the bottom of the cage. I figure when he’s a bit more settled in and not screaming his head off I can add stuff and take out the dowel perches that came with the cage. He’s definitely a bit stressed out. He’s yelling and flapping his wings at us. And OMG he is SO LOUD (compared to his usual) all of a sudden. He’s been calling out to us since a few days in, but this is just a totally new level of vocals.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
I have more perches and toys but I didn’t want him to be overwhelmed with everything. I also wanted to make sure he has plenty of room to stretch his wings. There is another rope that’s long and twisted, another swing toy, a bath that will fit in one of the side doors...he also has a shredder cube toy and a homemade toy in the bottom of the cage. I figure when he’s a bit more settled in and not screaming his head off I can add stuff and take out the dowel perches that came with the cage. He’s definitely a bit stressed out. He’s yelling and flapping his wings at us. And OMG he is SO LOUD (compared to his usual) all of a sudden. He’s been calling out to us since a few days in, but this is just a totally new level of vocals.

One thing that may help with the loud vocals is if you have a radio in the room maybe? Oliver seems to like music, whether it be a cd, radio or you tube. I try to pick out soft country or folk music. I think the sound calms him and it may work with Skye. The other night I played a Marty Robbins cd and Oliver enjoyed it a lot. You and I have had our birds almost the same time, and Oliver has similar mannerisms as Skye. It is probably just a normal transition they go through as they get used to their new home. These birds can live several years, so actually Skye and Oliver are still babies.

What size is your new cage, looks nice. Bent bars is a common complaint with these bird cages.

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots

One thing that may help with the loud vocals is if you have a radio in the room maybe? Oliver seems to like music, whether it be a cd, radio or you tube. I try to pick out soft country or folk music. I think the sound calms him and it may work with Skye. The other night I played a Marty Robbins cd and Oliver enjoyed it a lot. You and I have had our birds almost the same time, and Oliver has similar mannerisms as Skye. It is probably just a normal transition they go through as they get used to their new home. These birds can live several years, so actually Skye and Oliver are still babies.

What size is your new cage, looks nice. Bent bars is a common complaint with these bird cages.

Skye has settled down with the yelling. I’m thinking he was nervous and excited about his new larger cage. He’s back to his normal noises, which seem to be just random chirping most of the day and occasionally he calls out for us. I’m sure what the dimensions are, but I added a photo from amazon. The bars weren’t to badly bent, but it was enough that things wouldn’t line up and I had to bend them back into place a bit.

I never leave him in silence during the day. He always has music playing from wake up until it’s bed time. He has his favorite songs that he sings along to, and gets really excited if my daughter sings to him. She’s into theatre so there’s a lot of singing. It’s really cute.

How is Oliver doing now? Any pics? I’d love to see him!

View attachment 23452

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You don't want to use those dowel perches-- they can cause bumblefoot. You want to make sure you get perches with natural variations/textures on each branch.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
I'm glad Skye is better, probably just needed time to adjust to the new cage. I'm trying to get a photo of Oliver posted but not able to. I followed the forum's info about copy and paste but that's not working. I think if you click on my user name and go to public album you'll see him. He's doing fine, cleaned up his cage some today and he seemed to love the attention.

Last edited:
OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
You don't want to use those dowel perches-- they can cause bumblefoot. You want to make sure you get perches with natural variations/textures on each branch.

Yes, I know, but I had some perches that were sent back. The whole cage thing has been a nightmare. He was SUPPOSED to have a custom cage that went floor to ceiling and much larger than this space. It was promised to be ready, and was suddenly delayed way to long and needless to say I basically told them where they could put the way behind schedule set up. I had bought a whole bunch of stuff but it was mostly to large for this cage. I have more stuff, but with the move from itty bitty cage to larger cage I also didn’t want to add to much and stress him out even more. I added 2 thicker natural perches since and will add a few more next week. Then I will be able to take those dowels out. I left them low because he tends to like it better up high, and he doesn’t use them at all that I’ve seen. He will actually fly to his higher perches if he’s been on the bottom pecking at his veggies.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
I'm glad Skye is better, probably just needed time to adjust to the new cage. I'm trying to get a photo of Oliver posted but not able to. I followed the forum's info about copy and paste but that's not working. I think if you click on my user name and go to public album you'll see him. He's doing fine, cleaned up his cage some today and he seemed to love the attention.

I found his pic! Super cute little guy. Personally I’m partial to the more natural colors, but my daughter picked out Skye. He’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade him but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the green. Olivers picture is making me want to make a quick trip to the pet store...

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots

I found his pic! Super cute little guy. Personally I’m partial to the more natural colors, but my daughter picked out Skye. He’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade him but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the green. Olivers picture is making me want to make a quick trip to the pet store...

Thanks, I love the green too. He's actually a little bit greener than in the picture, but I took it late in the day and the flash from the camera faded him a little. Skye is very beautiful too.

Last edited:

Most Reactions