New Canadian Member

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
Hi All,

I'm here by referral of my daughter, Maple 128 who just signed up a few weeks ago.

After a long decision-making process, we decided to get a parrot back in November, and had attempted to find a mature bird to rehome, or a rescue. Unfortunately we ran into the same issues others have detailed in the forum when discussing rescues. Plus after meeting some mature birds a breeder needed to rehome, it was pretty apparent Mrs. Scooter would be more comfortable with a young bird.

Although we started the process thinking "small parrot" like quaker or conure, then "medium parrot" like African Grey or Galah, we ended up with a 5 month old DYH Amazon - Monty picked us.

Anyways, our first two weeks of parrot ownership have been a blast, with Monty settling in well to our home (and our other critters). I've also finally gotten over the paranoid "newborn syndrome" where I feel everything I do is going to somehow kill the bird. Reminds me a bit of when we brought Maple 128 home from the hospital.

Regardless, it is fun having a rambunctious toddler in the house again who lurches between maddeningly hyperactive, and adorably sweet. For my first pic, I'd like to share what I saw for the first 15 minutes of the national championship game last night. For some reason, Monty had to repeatedly taste various areas of my face while randomly sticking his foot in my mouth whenever I opened it.

49A28E86-6230-496A-A303-01C12044DB46_zpsssgsekxl.jpg

Of course, after he tuckered himself out after signing the Beatles "All My Lovin'" for the 4th time in a row (actually sounded like someone strangling a parrot), he decided to nap. Phew.

5F3F5E9F-3358-4B9F-8FFE-8D7BDA93DBE0_zpsebidlnui.jpg

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
He is adorable! You have a lot of "stages" to go through with a 5 month old... The terrible twos, adolescence and hormones...oh my! Just like kids. Good luck, he looks like a sweetie. Just keep that angelic sleeping picture in your head for when he drives you nuts!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Very nice intro! What an adorable new addition, enjoy the adventure!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome from Alberta!
Monty is gorgeous and sounds like he is bursting with personality! Looking forward to hearing more of his adventures:)

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Hi All,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

So far, Monty looks like he'll have more than enough personality for everyone to try and handle! However, I do like how it is described in the Amazon forum in the post under body language - Amazons are super entertaining, intelligent, and affectionate companions. You just need to know when they need their space.

Kind of a bird description of me.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Welcome, from the west coast of BC! Enjoy the ride with your 'Zon - they're NEVER boring!!

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Hello and welcome from Alberta!
Hi Terry,

In Manitoba there are few breeders, and not a lot of mature parrots that need rehoming. In looking for a bird, we also looked at Saskatchewan and Alberta to see if we could find one.

There was a mature Ekkie and an M2 in Alberta on Kijiji, but we missed the Ekkie by one day (sounds like he was rescued or rehomed to a knowledgeable owner), and the M2 owner wouldn't respond to my inquiries (guess I asked too many questions, like "Any idea why your bird started plucking"). In the end, it worked out OK, as Monty pretty much picked us.

Of course, there is a sulphur-crested 'Too in its 20's locally here on Kijiji right now that needs a new home, and the person is trying to make a buck off the bird - if I thought we were ready for this, I'd be picking him up already. Unfortunately, one bird (and a first parrot, at that) will likely be more than enough to keep us busy for some time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts