New cockatile

atik

Dec 7, 2013
I got new cockatile last week,he is eating well,but he scared when i go to touch him,he goes corner of cage and sometimes he bites too,but when i eat he wants to with him,in that time he eats from my hand,and some times he sit on my finger .don't know why he does,he is 14 weeks old.
thanks

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
It sounds like your 'tiel is just a little scared of you. It's not much to worry about, you just need to spend some times earning his trust. If you've only had him a week, he could still be settling in and adjusting to life in his new home, too. I recommend you try to target train (this explains what it is if you don't know: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtptXFyb2c]How to Target Train Your Parrot | Parrot Training - YouTube[/ame]) Training helps build trust between a bird and owner, and it is useful, so I highly recommend this as a way to bond with your cockatiel. I wouldn't worry though, just give him some time and he'll eventually come to trust you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtptXFyb2c"][/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Right now you need to bond with him, have him out with you as much as possible. Train him, play with him, etc. It needs to be done daily, multiple times per day. They get scared being in a different place after leaving their home that they've known while growing up.

OP
A

atik

Dec 7, 2013
Thank you for your reply :) .in cage he tries to bite me,but in my finger he does not bite,i can ouch his head, and when i give him time on my desk ,he tries to avoid me ,he plays with my pen and when i go to touch him he runs away .By the way he does not sit on pearch,and he sit near food,don't know why .

Last edited:
OP
A

atik

Dec 7, 2013
Its 15 days now at my home,i can see some improvement, he sits in my finger,but still he bites,first 2-3 munites he tries to bite but then he does not,he does not want to stay in cage,he does not play with toys.he eats well.

OP
A

atik

Dec 7, 2013
Here he / she is

Attachments

• DSC_5028.jpg
    DSC_5028.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_5092.jpg
    DSC_5092.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 371

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Awww, very cute!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Was he being handfed when you got him??? Those dry formula around his mouth needs to be cleaned off! Also you should have a vet examine his eye, they don't look right!!!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Here he / she is

I agree with Mikey, the left eye doesn't look right. Pretty bird, otherwise. Are you in Indonesia, Atik?

Most Reactions