New Conure acting strange

Kristit731

Mar 18, 2012
I just brought home a new Sun Concure on Friday. He seemed fine at the store, but since he's been home, he has begun doing a very slow head bobbing, almost continuous. He also does a constant squawking sound, almost like a chuckle, while fluffing his wings. Can birds be mentally challenged, or what does this mean? All that I have found out from the internet is that he might be a Jenday Conure, not a Sun Conure, because his wings are green with blue tips. I also have a Pineapple Green Cheek at home, and she never did this behavior. Can someone please tell me what this means?

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm not sure why he would be doing that either. Even if he's old enough to be hormonal, they don't do regurgitation motions continuously. Is he vomiting? Do you see anything splashed around the cage that might be vomit?

I would probably take him to the vet tomorrow for a check up.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I just brought home a new Sun Concure on Friday. He seemed fine at the store, but since he's been home, he has begun doing a very slow head bobbing, almost continuous. He also does a constant squawking sound, almost like a chuckle, while fluffing his wings. Can birds be mentally challenged, or what does this mean? All that I have found out from the internet is that he might be a Jenday Conure, not a Sun Conure, because his wings are green with blue tips. I also have a Pineapple Green Cheek at home, and she never did this behavior. Can someone please tell me what this means?

All sun conures do that especially if they are not long weaned. It's how they act when they are begging for food. Cute isn't it.

A young sun looks very much like a Janday. As a sun conure molts over 2 or 3 years he will replace the green baby feathers with yellow. A sun conure doesn't look totally beautiful until they are adults.

If you can post a pic i can tell you if you have a sunny or a jenday.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, good to know it's baby behavior. That makes more sense than what I said, especially given he doesn't have adult coloring.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Roxy until Kristit731 confirms the age of her new bird we both could be wrong. Even adult sunnies can behave in that manner & it have nothing to do with hormones or being ill. They usually do it because it's a learned behaviour that their owner has reinforced. Parrots learn things especially if they know what pleases us. They thrive on drama.:)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, yes, they certainly love drama!

Another possibility is that he has some kind of crud in his sinuses and is trying to dislodge it.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots

Another possibility is that he has some kind of crud in his sinuses and is trying to dislodge it.

Roxy I really don't think so. Please do not scare Kristit731 with possible health problem if they are not warranted.

I think i have had enough experience breeding sun conures to be able to identify certain behaviours. I am confident I am correct in saying this is juvenile behaviour in this case.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I saw one doin somethin like that but it was jus pissed? i doubt its anything too serious tho

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
I saw one doin somethin like that but it was jus pissed? i doubt its anything too serious tho

LOL Danny when they are pissed as you put it, they fluff themselves up to increase their size & sway from side to side & if you get in the way they attack. Thats what my adults do when strangers come near their cage.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

Roxy I really don't think so. Please do not scare Kristit731 with possible health problem if they are not warranted.

I think i have had enough experience breeding sun conures to be able to identify certain behaviours. I am confident I am correct in saying this is juvenile behaviour in this case.

Not my intention; just trying to think of possibilities of what that type of action can mean. But, you did come back and say until we know his age, it may not actually be baby behavior and that was the only other reason I could think of for a bird flicking it's head or some similar movement. But, seeing as he came from a pet shop he probably is a young bird with juvenile coloring, and you are probably correct that that is what he is doing.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media

Pedro, We are all on this Forum to give and recieve advice to the best of our ability! It dosent mean to say that one Members advice is right or another is wrong... Its only our own personal opinion, given the knowledge that we have with our own Birds.

Maybe if there is a difference of opinion between Members advice, it would be a good idea to PM the other person first, rather than posting the disagreement! IMO all this does is totally confuse the New Member that has aked the question, and therfore will not come back to the Forum :(

Last edited:
OP
K

Kristit731

Mar 18, 2012
Thanks everyone! Im sorry if this caused any harsh feelings amongst ourselves, but I dont feel that anyone spoke harshly or gave unwarranted advice, so I hope that everyone is still friends. Rae Rae is very young, he was hatched 12/19/11. I went back to the store yesterday to inquire about his behavior and they said that he had just been weaned and that it is his way of begging for food. They suggest (well told rather) that I do not feed him and this will go away. Phew!! He is eating fine, just seems to be rather picky while digging through the dish. I havent been able to pinpoint just what it is that he is looking for as of yet. Other than that, he seems to be fine, he is quite active and clumsy (takes after me lol). They also said that his colors would change, and that he is a Sun. I will try and get some pictures of my babies uploaded soon. Im very excited to have found and joined this site. Thank you all so much for responding and for the help.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am really pleased he is OK and eating well.. I remember when I first had Codie at 11 Weeks old, she did exactly the same thing when she wanted food! Look forward to seeing pics :)

Most Reactions