New Conure - Need lots of help!

KairisMama

Nov 21, 2012
Parrots
Baby: Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone, I'm new here & also a first time bird owner. I did all my research on conures before purchasing mine. I rehomed her from her previous owner who no longer had time for her but loved her dearly we could tell. They named her baby and she's 18 month's old, and she is a fancy green cheek conure (thats what her papers say) . We got her 6 days ago and want to know whats the best way to go about bonding with her and taming her? She knows the commands step up and step down but wont do them for us, instead she bites. But she loves coming out of her cage. She doesn't appear afraid of us just wont allow touching and what not. What did you do to start bonding and taming your conure? I know she's probably considered tame so what I really want to know then is bonding! :)

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I am in the same boat as you, as I just adopted a 14 month old Red Throated Conure. He is very loud and aggressive lol. We're working on it but I think time is the biggest factor for them to bond with us. Start slow and see what happens. I just got a clicker today and am hoping clicker training will help accelerate him to realizing I'm here for him and not to harm him.

OP
K

KairisMama

Nov 21, 2012
Parrots
Baby: Green Cheek Conure
I am in the same boat as you, as I just adopted a 14 month old Red Throated Conure. He is very loud and aggressive lol. We're working on it but I think time is the biggest factor for them to bond with us. Start slow and see what happens. I just got a clicker today and am hoping clicker training will help accelerate him to realizing I'm here for him and not to harm him.

She's not too loud only when she gets excited or wants attention. I actually bought a clicker a couple nights ago as well! Everyday I allow her to come out of her cage on her own and I have a wooden perch attached to the side of the cage and allow her that free time while i sit next to her on my laptop. I hope that will show her that im here and want to bond with her! :green1:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Fancy isn't an actual mutation. It's just want some pet stores (Petsmart) uses so as to not describe each mutation. In other words, a fancy isn't a normal... but it could be cinnamon, opaline (yellowside) or turquoise or a combination of two or more of those mutations.

When you have her out, try and make sure that you have some food and treats with you! This can help her be interested in you and gain her trust!

Her entire life has just changed. New people, new surroundings, new everything, pretty much. She'll need time to settle in and get used to everything that's around her.... if you can though, try and avoid getting bitten!

Most Reactions