new conure

creative

Jun 19, 2010
Hi,

I've decided after a good period of researching (and some exposure to friends with caiques) to get a pet bird (conure or caique). However, i want to make sure that i provide the bird with a very good level of care - and i had a few questions..

The main one being about the amount of time spent on interaction etc. I am single and work, so its only me in the house, and i am there from 5.30pm when i return home from work. Some evenings i am out for a couple of hours. How much time is recommended to have the bird out of its cage and interacting with you? I know the more the better, but i have read 2 or 3 hours is ok? I plan to have it out of the cage most of the evening but i dont want to be doing only the bare minimum. Is it ok for these birds to be kept in a flat with only 1 person to be there and play with etc?

any info would be great. thanks for your time.

[email protected]

Jun 19, 2010
Houston,TX
Parrots
10 year old male Love Bird- deceased
6 year old female Blue Crowned Conure
3 year old female Alexandrine
1 year old female Cherry Headed Conure
Hi, Well you asked so I am going to give it to you straight. I don't think either of those types of birds alone in our place till sunset most days will be happy birds. These are flock creatures and not happy alone. They really need more social interaction than people. If you are sure you want a companion bird that will be smart and entertaining you will have the responsibility of an intelligent and social creature that needs company and activity. These birds can become depressed develop serious issue - feather plucking - screaming etc. The answer I think is bring your bird to work or work at home but if that is not possible continue your parrot research and consider getting 2 birds instead of one. They do not have to be the same type of bird if you plan to keep them in different cages. As long as they are near each other they will be company for each other. My Love Bird is the companion for my Alexandrine. When I take my Alexandrine in the other room they call each other. Find a good store that specializes in birds and go visit. Go on a week day if you can when the shop is not busy and visit with the bird store owner/manager. This is baby bird season so hold a few and see who feel right. Most of all take your time and decide careully as they pets can live along time and are a real joy if selected to fit your needs.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I'm not sure where you're located but if there's a shelter close by can I suggest you pay them a visit. There may be an older bird that would be perfect for your situation. The big thing about leaving a parrot alone for long periods is that you leave them plenty of toys to keep them busy (I leave the TV on a preschool kids channel if out for more than a few hrs). I can't comment on the breeds you're looking at as I have no experience with either but I'm sure there will be others on the forum who can help you there
Good Luck
Oh & welcome

etse20

Jun 1, 2010
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel & Eclectus
Conures are noisy birds. I used to have a pair of Sun. Inexperience on my part at the time, had to finally give up and rehome them. Complaints from neighbours when I go to work during the day. They scream a lot, even when my girl-friend is at home a lot. Now I have a cockatiel and an Eclectus. Both very quiet birds. Suits my lifestyle.

[email protected]

Jun 19, 2010
Houston,TX
Parrots
10 year old male Love Bird- deceased
6 year old female Blue Crowned Conure
3 year old female Alexandrine
1 year old female Cherry Headed Conure
The two parrots mentioned by the above member are great for quiet and entertaining themselves with toys - also the two together is a great comb - just be sure and get a male cockatiel as the hens can have egg issues.

Most Reactions

Latest posts