New eggs. HELP!!

Meldara

Feb 17, 2014
Arkansas
Parrots
Two green cheek conures Fruitloop and Hedwig and two budgies Baka and Pocky.
Well apparently both Tiki and hot rod are female. We knew Tiki was. But i went away for about 2 weeks and my mother took care of the three conures for me. And apparently they decided under the dresser was a good place to lay eggs. Both Tiki and Hot rod have three each. So apparently Petri was a very busy boy. This also explains Why he kept trying to bite my mother who he loves while i was away. When i was here I brought them into the living room every day so they never got used to being in one place. Anyway whats done is done, Im reading every thing i can about breeding conures now but was wondering if anyone had advice for me ESP about how to get tiki and hot rod to let me move the eggs to a nest box. I don't think under the dresser is a great place to raise a family. As i can barely get near the cage to feed them.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hi, Meldara.

Unfortunately, I have no experience in this area. But seeing as how your query seems rather time sensitive, I thought I'd offer what help I could by giving your thread a little bump so someone far more qualified than I might give you a hand.

Good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Were they allowed to free roam??? Cause this shouldn't of happened unless they were allowed to free roam. By moving the eggs into the nest box may or may not work. Sometimes they will ignore the eggs once moved into a nest box but sometimes they will willingly accept it. You can use a flash light to check the eggs to see if the oldest egg is even fertile. Basically shine through all the eggs to find if any fertility is present. If nothing shows, check again in another 4 days, if nothing shows, most likely they're not fertile. You can either let them finish incubating or put them back into the cage and dispose the eggs. And do not allow them back underneath the dresser again!

OP
M

Meldara

Feb 17, 2014
Arkansas
Parrots
Two green cheek conures Fruitloop and Hedwig and two budgies Baka and Pocky.
Most of the day they roam free usually in the living room.Where i can keep half or both eyes on them at all times. But while i was away mom just opened the cages and put their play center in my room. My room is bird safe because if i ever went out for a few hours they stayed in there so they wouldn't try to play with the dogs and get squished. Apparently they wiggled their way between the gap in the wall and the dresser as i had blocked off the way to go underneath it from the front. She couldn't get them to come out. Any time she went in the check on them if hotrod or Tiki where out they would scamper back down behind it. . She was afraid to move it incase she squished one of the birds. I found the eggs by pulling out the drawers and pulling up the thin cardboardy layer beneath it. I'm worried that if i put them back in the cages or move them to the living room they are just going to keep laying. So im going to let them incubate and see what happens. lessoned learned if they want to badly enough they will find a way to get down a one inch gap.

Going shopping today for a larger cage as the one i have now is primarily used for sleeping. and i'm thinking if i leave again out time is not going to happen. I have no plans to leave for that long again but this wasn't planned either. Im also getting an emergency brooder ready I have a ten gallon aquarium that i'm sterilizing. Its new but if any hatch and are rejected i want to be prepared. My sister has extra heat lamps that she keeps on hand in case any of her lizards ones break. Its happened before in the middle of the night and she couldn't get a replacement till late the next day.

If they hatch and survive and they feed them properly i'm going to see if they will let me handle the babies daily after two and a half to three weeks with out issue if they do ill leave them to feed them as log as possible. If not i do have hand feeding experience all be it with cockatoos which are a lot bigger. But i've decided on the cup feeding method and will be stocking up on those little paper condiment cups. my avian vet was out of town yesterday till wednesday but ill call her then and get her advice.

If everything else goes well i have friends and family who are more then willing to help me socilize them and a couple want to keep some. The pet shop i bought petri from has told me i am welcome to put up flyers in their shop if i need to as well.

Goodness i've written a book. XD Thank you for your advice and ill definitely do the flashlight check. Theres part of me hoping for both outcomes. The one part is like awww babies are cuuute But the winning practical side is like. Please let them be duds then they'll have gotten this out of their system and there are no tiny lives at stake. and i can get back to the routine of moving them around all the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts