New Ekkie Too Cool??

acen

Jul 10, 2013
Hello im new to the forum but have been spying for some time, but now that i actually have a female eclectus im curious to see what others think about her behavior. Im a 1st time parrot companion, but wife had a cockatiel for years. So basically i dont know what to expect other than what i have read.

first off she is going on 12 weeks in a few days

She has been home for 4 days

So far:

super quiet, spoke on 1 occassion, the 1st was day when she herd her breeder on the speaker phone and her flock in background, she gave 3 calls.

Toys:
Not interested in chewing anything, except eucalyptus leaves and nuts, but very moderately. Not wires, phone cords rope etc.

No interest in foot toys, attacked and played with it for 5 seconds and havent touched it since.

Tried to setup a foraging station but she could care less about it. She will walk to treats spread out but wont hussle too hard if not made easy. She expects you to hand feed her and looks at you like your crazy if you make her do it herself.

Tried a homemade foraging toy with her treats but she didnt go for it for too long, even after showing her where the treats went.

Out of her cage, she runs to the sliding door and stares, preens and naps.

She does fly and land well considering she had her 1st and last clip a few days ago.

She stepped up to me and wife on day 1 and continues to do so as long as a treat is offered. Same for returning to her cage and sitting on her table perch.

She is completely unphased by the loud Vita Mix blender on high every morning.

Unafraid of my harassing 2 year old. who want to feed her forever.

Took permanant residence in the Tidy Seed Bird Feeder on day 1. She eats, sleeps and stares in their.

My Question is
So far She seems to be perfect... Is this the calm before the storm?
Is she just Lazy? i worry that she is bored and really dread the feather pluckin thing. Although her body language appear happy and relaxed.. but who knows?

:eek:

Any advice is welcomed

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
A lot of birds are very quiet in the beginning because they are nervous. The real personalities come out after a few weeks when they get comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Baby birds aren't all there yet... she's just very, very young...

She hasn't really learned words yet, but these birds, like CAGS, and some of the amazons, have the capacity to pick up language in context.

If you train them from this age, and use language appropriately, and in context, they will frequently pick it up and use it back with you appropriately and in context.

My favorite Female eckie foster bird used to make these sounds like an airhorn when she wanted my attention. I would set her down and she would go [airhorn honk], or walk by the playstand and she would want to be picked up and go [airhorn honk].

I don't know if someone actually used an airhorn around this bird, or if it was a natural noise. Someone told me it was a natural noise only the females make... I never did figure it out one way or another.

Females do tend ot get bossy during breeding season when they are sexually mature. And they also tend to be seasonal brood patch pluckers.

These are diet sensitive birds. Did your breeder warn you about toe tap?

Marcy

Oct 22, 2012
USA- MD/PA Border
Parrots
Major Mitchell's Cockatoo, "Bella"; Spectacled Amazon,"Noah"; Goffin's Cockatoo, �Lex"; Timneh African Grey, "Tootsie"; Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure, "Cassia"!
Welcome to our forum! I always tell anyone who purchases a baby from me that it will take a month or 2 for them to settle in and show their personality and then you can judge her actions and have a better idea of who she is. Congrats on her!

trishs5001

Sep 25, 2013
As an Ekkie owner for 8 years I can tell you now most of the behavior you've mentioned is quite normal. My Ekkie is laid back. Never really plays much with toys but loves to hang upside down doing what I like to call the old 80s snake dance, flap its wings, talk, mumble. Is a big shoulder rider and likes to get into whatever I am doing. Hangs out while I cook along with trying to eat whatever it is I cook. As far as talking skittles is funny. His name he says regularly along with hey. Other things are without rhyme or reason. Sometimes he'll pipe out something he's heard once never to say it again (at least in my hearing). Ekkies are known for being one of the quietest in the parrot world as far as squawking and such although they have their moments, particularly when spooked or want attention. Mine has never bitten anyone and goes to most people willingly. Hums alot. Never liked fruit of anykind but loves seed (birdy junk food) and cheddar cheese. I think you will enjoy your ekkie very much. Imho they make the best first bird for anyone. Beware though most do not like to be petted although some do take to belly rubbing.

Most Reactions