New Feathers?

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
I was just wondering how long it usually takes for a lovebirds flight feathers to come back in after they were clipped?

I got her in August and that was the last time she was clipped she seems to be going through a molt right now(grey down everywhere and the occasional tail feather). She does have two full flight feathers one on each wing but they came in a while back.

anyway thanks in advance

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
When she's done with her molt they should all be back. I'm not sure how long Lovebirds take to molt though. My amazon has been molting forever but he was on a very poor diet before I got him. He has gotten some of his flight feathers back, but not all of them.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
This is her first molt maybe that has something to do with it?haha

She's on zupreem fruit blend but still has yet to try any fruit or vegetables

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
A way to get them to eat fruit & vegetables is to cut them up into tiny pieces. They often do not recognize big chunks of them as food. They are more apt to try smaller bits.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Thanks I'm going to try cutting a bunch of veggies up and mixing them with her pellets tomorrow and see if she touches any of it

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, the pellets make for a good diet. Better than the 28 years of seeds and peanuts my bird ate before I had him.

Try eating the fruit and veggies in front of her, and offering her pieces. That at least seems to give them the idea that it's food. It doesn't work with every bird, but it works with a lot of them.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I just want to make sure she has the best diet possible so I'll just keep trying different things and than try them again haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts