New flight aviary for Armando.

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
When I got Armando, I had this idea of making an aviary on the side-yard (between the backyard and the front yard)My house is covered of glass windows which would be extremely hard to cover so I thought is was easier that way. Today Armando hit a window, fortunately he had the chance to stop just before hitting it and he is okay.

This drive me to clip his wings I clipped 5 fathers on each side(I wanted to do just 4 but i accidentally damaged the fifth in one wing so I had to even them). He is still able to land but not to fly. This broke my hearth he was trying so hard to fly and I feel a bit guilty.

The cage would be approximately 5 meters by 6 o a bit bigger. I want to fit two orange trees in it. Any ideas or suggestions? On materials I have no idea what to use, Wood is absolutely not an option because with this tropical weather it rots really fast.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The size you are looking to build sounds great, but when you ask about materials and mention wood not being an option, do you mean building material for the framework of the aviary? Or play stands, perches and such for the inside?

And btw, what kind of bird is Armando?

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Armando is a Congo African grey. The idea is yo have the two Orange trees inside to function as play stands and perches. I ment wood won't be an option as frame. I was thinking metal and cyclone wire(that makes sense lol I don't know the right word) but most of what I can find is galvanized.

Dec 23, 2013
Good morning...I built this for Ivan for less than $700 and the theme could be built to any size...its 1 1/2 PVC,with #8 SS screws over fender washers...the wire is GAW (galvanized after welded)...most of the bird rescues here in Florida use this...not easy to find...costs more than the stuff at Home Depot..but it stands up tp weather and beaks..

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Wow Ivan's flying aviary is really nice I never thought about PVC! This is the area(picture attached) Would galvanized wire should be okay with parrots? South Florida weather is probably the closest to my weather, maybe a little it hotter in here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 204

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Wow Ivan's flying aviary is really nice I never thought about PVC! This is the area(picture attached) Would galvanized wire should be okay with parrots? South Florida weather is probably the closest to my weather, maybe a little it hotter in here.

Galvanized metal that has been electroplated is safe, galvanized wire however is just hot dipped, and has a very high zinc content which is potentially very toxic to parrots. The best option for the birds is to go with stainless steel.

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
CherylCali , fortunately he is doing much better! He is still a bit under weight but doing great, test came back there are no signs of infection anymore. So hopefully he would going to get weight some day.

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Galvanized metal that has been electroplated is safe, galvanized wire however is just hot dipped, and has a very high zinc content which is potentially very toxic to parrots. The best option for the birds is to go with stainless steel.

We have in the city a powder coating plant that uses polyester poder coating which I could use to cover the metal is a bit expensive but not as expensive as stainless steel. Stainless steel is completely above my budget even the shipping from Mexico city would be extremely expensive.
How to tell the difference between normal galvanized and electroplated galvanized?
Cheers,

Marco

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Good morning...I built this for Ivan for less than $700 and the theme could be built to any size...its 1 1/2 PVC,with #8 SS screws over fender washers...the wire is GAW (galvanized after welded)...most of the bird rescues here in Florida use this...not easy to find...costs more than the stuff at Home Depot..but it stands up tp weather and beaks..

Do you have any more pictures of the details of you cage. I´m particulary fond that you used pvc pipes. Is there any details of how you made the doors?
Cheers,

Marco

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)

We have in the city a powder coating plant that uses polyester poder coating which I could use to cover the metal is a bit expensive but not as expensive as stainless steel. Stainless steel is completely above my budget even the shipping from Mexico city would be extremely expensive.
How to tell the difference between normal galvanized and electroplated galvanized?
Cheers,

Marco

Generally speaking, electroplating isn't used on wire. It's primarily used for side plating on larger surfaces. I'm not saying electroplated galvanized wire isn't available though, you would just have to look in to it. If you have access to a place that can do powder coating though, that's a great alternative.

To be honest, I didn't even know there were places you could take in pieces to have them custom coated for you. I need to look in to that myself, thanks for bringing it up!

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Generally speaking, electroplating isn't used on wire. It's primarily used for side plating on larger surfaces. I'm not saying electroplated galvanized wire isn't available though, you would just have to look in to it. If you have access to a place that can do powder coating though, that's a great alternative.

To be honest, I didn't even know there were places you could take in pieces to have them custom coated for you. I need to look in to that myself, thanks for bringing it up!

Is not like they can custom coat your wire mesh, they just do polyester powder coating which I read is a safe alternative for birds. I know they need to be of an specific size to fit the machine but I was thinking of making panels and then attaching them together, sounds easy to me lol! I need to go to see if its actually not so expensive but I´m sure it will be cheaper than stainless steel.

With the PVC after that problem solved.

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
The powder coating will be chewed off more easily than the bars of a cage because the wire is flexable

I was thinking of using something like the picture attached. I did some chairs a while ago and they still are nicely coated in black. Do you think he will chip off the paint?

Attachments

• borrar.jpg
    borrar.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 43

Most Reactions

Latest posts