New Goffin Cockatoo

xCryssax

Jun 22, 2013
I just adopted a female goffin too less than a week ago. Her name is Pinky and she is 5 years old. She has adjusted quite well and I personally couldnt ask for a sweeter baby. However, she will get very nervous and bitey with visitors, and she will downright attack my mother. With me though, she just melts when shes with me. Shes talkative, never bites, and loves to be picked up and petted. I can hold her infant style in my arms. But around my mother and visitors her whole personality turns a 180. She came from a breeder. She was never bred but was her personal pet for 5 years. Any advise on how to help her be more social with people? Her diet is perfect btw. We have had birds before. She eats what we eat except for what she cant have and she also gets a seed/pellet mix in the morning and fresh foods in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Things sound Great you must be excited!! I just rehomed a 25 year old MONSTER of a Goffin. The family didn't know how to change the situation they had gotten themselves into . My take on Goffins they need set times out and structure. The change from these peoples house to mine has been night and day. I think what happened was he was really spoiled [which is easy to do ] then they didn't pay consistent attention to him . I think he was acting out. Read up on Toos so you can be prepared and know what not to do. I would build your relationship with her.The rehomes in my house pick one person to like. Then everyone else has to take the time to win them over. It can be a long process don't force her to interact with things she doesn't want to. Let her decide [this is a new home for her] Good Luck :)

OP
X

xCryssax

Jun 22, 2013
We have had a drawback between Pinky and my mother. She entered the door of Pinkys room and just talked to her from a distance. Pinky began the classic terrirorial display...head bobbing, flaring of feathers and wings, and hissing all while bouncing. When mom didnt leave, Pinky flew off her cage at her, divebombed, and bit mom hard on her back. I had always known that birds bite out of fear since they are prey animals, but it seems Pinky is just the opposite...it does seem like compelling aggression. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to clip her wings after that. I cant risk another divebombing on a visitor next time. She doesnt exactly ever have to like mom or other people on the same level she loves me, but it would be nice for all of us to be in the same room without fear of attack. If shes in her cage, Pinky will leap to the front and bite the bars in an attempt to get to mom if she comes in the room. Its that bad. What can we do?

Most Reactions