New?Guy

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
He looks really good except what's up with his nares. He is in quarantine. I was able to make it happen.

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
He's adorable, Grace! Congrats!

I'm not sure about the dark colored nares, they look a little irritated, but I'm looking at a very small screen so I'm not real sure. All I have to compare is my girl, her nares are pink, but grey may be normal for males. Maybe someone with more cockatiel knowledge will enlighten us.

I'm so glad you find a way to quarantine your new flock member. Have fun and when quarantine is over, tell the rest of the flock to play nice.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What a cute little guy Grace! Look at his 'tough guy' stance in the first pic lol! Do you have any name ideas yet?

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
My tiel's nares are pink but I dont know what sex Kalypso is. I refer to Kalypso as a she but I dont know for sure. The darkness in the faceof yours leads me to think its a female but you cant be sure with pieds.

OP
G

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I see nares was autocorrected and became mates.

I haven't thought of a name yet. If I name it ill want to keep it

Its only been 2 weeks. I still hope to reunite it with its family.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Congrats! I love his tough luck, lol! I think his nares look inflamed. With Venus and her illness, I've kept her on high vitamin A foods, colorful bell peppers, sweet potato, and the other important high vitamin goods foods like kale, carrot, bean sprouts, etc. venus' issue wa being on an all seed diet, since switching to fresh, great improvement but it's a slow road, we are still hearing wheezing every so often. I know I don't have to tell you fresh is best but I am still stunned with how much a fresh diet has helped Venus and Buddy too.

OP
G

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
MY son named him Rex. I finally saw evidence of him eating yesterday. He is also not as scared. He only hisses and throws a fit if you open his cage. I only do that for food and water.

He is starting to move around in his cage a bit more too.

I gave him fresh food for the first time today.
Scrambled eggs. Carrots. Broccoli. Cauliflower.

Mine got some too. Mine are pigging out.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
You are a good Mom. I love the challenge of a defiant bird, especially when they relent and give in to me, and they find out I'm not bad and they love what I'm giving and doing for them. Good job! I say Rex will be warming up in a month if that long. You have the good stuff and he will know he's missing something.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Congratulations on your new boy! He sure looks pretty!
His nares do look irritated, and the color of them do not seem normal.
Cockatiel nares can appear gray, but a uniform gray, and normally it is a grayish pink if that makes sense. I find that grayish pink nares are more common in the normal Grey Cockatiel.
Kiko's nares are a light pink color, although he is a cinnamon.

His nares appear black around the 'nostrils' themselves and, although the picture is making it tough, the inside looks like a bright pink. Perhaps you can give another picture. I do not know exactly would could cause it, but to me it does not look normal. I would give it a little while and perhaps it will clear up(?).

Good luck, and I know you will be a fantastic owner.

Most Reactions

Latest posts