New Hanging Perch!

Rena

Aug 21, 2013
Atlanta
Parrots
Vasily (Scarlet Macaw)
Zino (Yellow-Sided-Green-Cheek Conure)
We just finished making this new perch for Vasily and he loves it! We found a papasan chair base frame on craigslist... covered it in vet tape for better grip and hung some toys on it. They we hung it up!

Just thought i'd share!

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,425

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That's a great idea! I think I still have the base for an old papasan chair in the garage, I am so going to copy you:)

OP
Rena

Rena

Aug 21, 2013
Atlanta
Parrots
Vasily (Scarlet Macaw)
You should do it! It's SUPER easy and cheap! A bag of 4 rolls of vet tape cost only about $5!

I was thinking about making another one for Zino, our GCC, with rope perches running across the circle :)

Last edited:
OP
Rena

Rena

Aug 21, 2013
Atlanta
Parrots
Vasily (Scarlet Macaw)
So I have tried to continue with this idea, to use the top part of the Papasan chair... I thought it would be great for Zino, because the rungs are smaller and closer together... but it absolutely dwarfs him! LOL! And, I think it may be just too big for one little guy.

I think I may finish it and give it to my favorite parrot rescue for their 'tiel enclosure :D

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 835
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 408

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I just remembered that it's treated wood! When he chews on it at some point it will make him sick or worse! Sorry to be a downer, it's really a cool idea though! !!!

OP
Rena

Rena

Aug 21, 2013
Atlanta
Parrots
Vasily (Scarlet Macaw)
@gizzygirl: How can you tell if the wood is treated? I don't want them to get sick!!

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
Usually when wood is labelled treated eg treated pine, it means it's impregnated with arsenic and copper to protect against insects and fungi. It starts off green and weathers to grey. That kind of wood is only used for building, fences and similar, not for furniture because it's not good for us either.

A rattan chair is probably lacquered, but that is not the same as treated.

Lacquered rattan is a bit orange and a bit shiny. If the chair is old you'll probably see bit flaking off where there is wear and tear.

Last edited:

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
That is really cool! Great idea and great job. I love this section. I am just learning to do my own toys and get so many good ideas. This is too big for my Hahn's but maybe I can find something smaller. My husband made her a hanging gym out of PVC but I like to change things up so she does not get bored. Really nice! Elaine and Hahnna,

Most Reactions

Latest posts