New here, need help! Found a conure!

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
How can you have a bird and let him just fly away? I can never step outside or inside home without checking the cage, the food and the supplies. When I get him out the cage I made sure every window is closed, no ventilators nor harming devices open, oilets closed so no drowning in the toilet seats like I've read once.
Birds are like our children and even more precious, and losing your children does make you an irresponsible parent. You do close the door when you get out of the house, and you also keep them supervised by nannies.

I never said they shouldn't be upset or they never were caring, but they missed a point there.

I can understand your thoughts, and I am glad that Ravennessa found him because she is obviously taking fantastic care of him. But yes, mistakes do happen, and it could happen to any of us. Conures can live for 20 years and we're all bound to make some mistakes in that time. Of course we always make sure ceiling fans are off, windows are closed, etc... but what will happen that one time you accidentally leave the toilet seat open (an easy mistake to make when you use the toilet every day) and the bird lands in it and drowns? These mistakes could happen to any of us. I've heard of very loving and responsible parrot owners making small mistakes that had tragic consequences. Who knows what the circumstances were in which this bird was lost, maybe a latch on an outdoor aviary broke. It could be anything. I think it's important to try to give people the benefit of the doubt when we don't know. Trust me, if I could take someones pet because it was fair for me to judge them as unfit owners, I would have taken MANY pets by now ;]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Very well said, echoskybound. I completely agree. :)

Accidents can even happen when the guardian is right there. Nobody is immune to accidents, no matter how careful one is. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
One day last year, I was helping my son clean his lovebirds' cage. One of our prettiest lovies, Buttercup, was doing her daily weight-training and lifting the cage door. She could only manage to lift it about a centimetre before dropping it. Matt commented "Mum, I'm worried that Buttercup might get out one day. Maybe I should put a lock on the door?"

Now, Matt has autism and can be a bit pedantic about these things. I replied "Don't be silly, Matt, there's no way Buttercup could lift the weight of that door!"

As I spoke she did, and flew away! Poor Matt was devastated and still is! He ran after her, all the way down the street, but in no time she was out of sight. I felt so stupid and still imagine what the poor little bird's fate might have been (lots of birds of prey around where we live). Needless to say, all our bird cages now feature hefty carabiners. They're *^$#^( inconvenient, but after losing Buttercup, I'll never take that chance again.

The moral of the story is: you simply cannot foretell when an accident is going to happen. We're all great bird carers, or we wouldn't be here looking for help and information. But $#!+ will happen and sometimes it happens frequently. All we can do is commiserate and try again. :D

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
How is the conure doing? Have you though of a name? It sounds like a wonderful little bird with a great personality. I know with my bird (green check conure) it took her about a month or so to fully settle in and her true personality to come out. In the beginning she was very clingy and quite, but as she settled she got a bit louder and much more out going. Different people feed their birds different things. I beleive in feeding as natural as possible, so I feed a mix of fruits, veggies, pasta, rice and grains that I make up in a large batch and freeze in ice cube trays. Along with that I feed TOPS pellets and some seed. The bigger variety the better. You also need lots and lots of toys. Tons of toys. All kinds. I switch the toys around every few weeks or so to keep things interesting. Here is a great place to order toys from MySafeBirdStore - DISCOUNTED Bird Products - Safe & Healthy from a Bird Free Environment. Best prices on the 'net. Same day shipping..
I too keep my bird flighted and use the aviator bird harness. Ziva isn't thrilled with it, but lets me put it on her without too much of a problem. As for temps, normal room temp is fine, just make sure that there is not draft or vent blowing on your parrot.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts