New Here!

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Hello
My name is Maighen and I am from New Hampshire! My husband and I just brought home an african grey TONIGHT named Frankie! We have a lot of questions and probably need a lot of help!!! Thank you!

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Thank you so much! Frankie is about 18 years old....at least that is what his foster home told us! We're not sure where he is originally from....we were told he has moved around a lot and was basically a breeder bird! He doesn't like quick movements and makes a noise like he is growling when you try to touch him or go into his cage! We were told it was going to be a long hard road and we understand that!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
Thank you so much! Frankie is about 18 years old....at least that is what his foster home told us! We're not sure where he is originally from....we were told he has moved around a lot and was basically a breeder bird! He doesn't like quick movements and makes a noise like he is growling when you try to touch him or go into his cage! We were told it was going to be a long hard road and we understand that!

Yeah, as long as you understand that and you have the patience for it that is awesome. I would suggest going incredibly slow with him being that he was a breeder. I have no experience on breeders other than what I have read on here and from what I have found is that after they have been breeders they don't make very good pets. Not impossible, but very difficult. That is really awesome for you guys. PICTURES!!!! You are going to be asked for lot of pictures. :D And remember, patience is your number one biggest thing in having a bird.

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
I have been doing some reading also.....and the foster parents we got him from had A LOT of birds and animals and it was an extremely noisy place. When we got Frankie home he settled down a lot.....we do not have any other pets and no children so our house is really quiet. He has allowed me to sit next to his cage and he seems like he is watching and listening to me when I talk to him. He still growls a little when we walk by his cage! I will be definitely posting some pictures soon!!! I can wait I just hope some day he will be willing to sit with me and maybe talk a little!

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
Hi Meighan! I'm from your neighbor state to the west, VT, Manchester area, whereabouts in NH are you? Your doing the right thing to start with, sitting by his cage and talking to him... Let hm know you're not a threat, and that you might just be good company :) also, some tasty treats offered through the bars of the cage can go a long way to making friends with him... patience, patience, patience! Don't push... Let him make his own decisions. Have you cared for parrots before or is Frankie your first?

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Welcome, you are in for a rewarding experience! For me it has been up and down, but always interesting!:)
Gary

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Hi Meighan! I'm from your neighbor state to the west, VT, Manchester area, whereabouts in NH are you? Your doing the right thing to start with, sitting by his cage and talking to him... Let hm know you're not a threat, and that you might just be good company :) also, some tasty treats offered through the bars of the cage can go a long way to making friends with him... patience, patience, patience! Don't push... Let him make his own decisions. Have you cared for parrots before or is Frankie your first?

Hi! We are from Rochester NH.....Frankie is my first! I have to admit I was a bit nervous about getting a parrot because I have gone into pet stores and they have followed me around the store and tried to bite and hiss! But I met Frankie and honestly his growling didn't scare me! I think he is a good boy and will eventually we can be great friends! I have tried to offer him veggies and fruits through his cage bars and he shows no interest! Am I being too pushy?

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Welcome, you are in for a rewarding experience! For me it has been up and down, but always interesting!:)
Gary

Thank you! I know this is going to be an interesting experience and possibly a long hard road! I just might need advice along the way!!!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots
As long as you are not shoving the food in his face, which I definitely wouldn't suggest doing unless you want to really get bitten, I wouldn't say you are being too pushy by offering him foods and snacks through the bars. That is a great start in earning his trust, just sitting by the cage talking to him. I hope it all turns out great!!!

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
As long as you are not shoving the food in his face, which I definitely wouldn't suggest doing unless you want to really get bitten, I wouldn't say you are being too pushy by offering him foods and snacks through the bars. That is a great start in earning his trust, just sitting by the cage talking to him. I hope it all turns out great!!!

Thank you! I hope it turns out great as well! I just thought this was kind of cute.....my husband has been playing mario on wii for a little while now and Frankie moves back and forth on his perch when my husband gets excited! I was told by the foster parents that Frankie had no interest in them or any out of cage type things. But he has been sort of interacting with the video game and my husband or at least it seems that way! :)

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots
Thank you! I hope it turns out great as well! I just thought this was kind of cute.....my husband has been playing mario on wii for a little while now and Frankie moves back and forth on his perch when my husband gets excited! I was told by the foster parents that Frankie had no interest in them or any out of cage type things. But he has been sort of interacting with the video game and my husband or at least it seems that way! :)

That is awesome. It may just have been with all the extra pets and everything they didn't really pay much attention to his likes/dislikes. Play some music and some TV shows for him as well and see how he does with that.

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey

That is awesome. It may just have been with all the extra pets and everything they didn't really pay much attention to his likes/dislikes. Play some music and some TV shows for him as well and see how he does with that.

We are going to set up a radio tomorrow for him! He is starting to make noises other then the growling now! I saw on the forum that african greys shed dander and I was never told that by the foster parents....do I just use a spray bottle to hydrate his feathers? If so....when should I start doing that? I am a little nervous that he will lose what little trust he might be getting if I spray him!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots

We are going to set up a radio tomorrow for him! He is starting to make noises other then the growling now! I saw on the forum that african greys shed dander and I was never told that by the foster parents....do I just use a spray bottle to hydrate his feathers? If so....when should I start doing that? I am a little nervous that he will lose what little trust he might be getting if I spray him!

Use a mist, that is something I believe you could do daily, in the mornings so he has time to dry off before going to sleep. I know it doesn't take all day but you don't want to spray him at night right before he goes to sleep. Once he does trust you enough see if you can't get him in the shower once or twice a week, and get an air purifier. I wouldn't say they are the most hypo-allergenic bird, so if you have allergies, get some medicine. :p But either way, its going to be a great, rewarding experience. :D

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
Meighan, if you don't already have a copy, I suggest picking up "Parrots for Dummies". It's a great resource and will answer the great majority of your first-time bird-owner questions.. It's even a good refference for the experienced bird person!

I might hold off on the misting at first... Let him have a week or two at least of getting used to you before you hit him with the spray... He may love it, some birds do, but I think it's a good idea to let him get a little more comfortable before wetting him forceably. You should probably offer him a bowl to bath in though. A heavy glass mixing bowl or pie plate with a couple inches of luke-warm water placed in the bottom of his cage (if it will fit through the door) is nice enticing bird-bath :)

also, if you don't already know, teflon non-stick cookware can produce vapors which are deadly to birds and use of such items should be avoided and/or carefully monitored in a bird household. Never pre-heat or allow a teflon pan to cook dry! I use only cast iron pans in my house... We have several members who have lost birds due to teflon fume poisoning... I assume if you've been reading here or other online resources you know this already, but it's an important one that some people miss and end up regretting.

Excellent that he seems interested in Mario ;) maybe you'll end up with a gamer bird :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats on the new baby and welcome to the forum. Parrots are curious animals, once he's used to you and with him being the only bird, he will try to socialize with you, just take things slow since he was a breeder bird to begin with. Ask anything you would like to ask, plenty of people here to answer you!

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Meighan, if you don't already have a copy, I suggest picking up "Parrots for Dummies". It's a great resource and will answer the great majority of your first-time bird-owner questions.. It's even a good refference for the experienced bird person!

I might hold off on the misting at first... Let him have a week or two at least of getting used to you before you hit him with the spray... He may love it, some birds do, but I think it's a good idea to let him get a little more comfortable before wetting him forceably. You should probably offer him a bowl to bath in though. A heavy glass mixing bowl or pie plate with a couple inches of luke-warm water placed in the bottom of his cage (if it will fit through the door) is nice enticing bird-bath :)

also, if you don't already know, teflon non-stick cookware can produce vapors which are deadly to birds and use of such items should be avoided and/or carefully monitored in a bird household. Never pre-heat or allow a teflon pan to cook dry! I use only cast iron pans in my house... We have several members who have lost birds due to teflon fume poisoning... I assume if you've been reading here or other online resources you know this already, but it's an important one that some people miss and end up regretting.

Excellent that he seems interested in Mario ;) maybe you'll end up with a gamer bird :D

I will def check out the book....I bought an african grey book from my local pet store and I have been reading different information on different sites. I will hold off on spraying him.....I did put my hand in his cage and he was ok and I picked up a carrot that was on the floor of his cage and tried to offer it to him. No luck! He took it and threw it and then started to growl again. He is also making a sound that almost sounds like purring when I talk to him.....its not the same upset/angry sound that he makes when he growls. I have heard about the teflon pans and have checked my pans that I cook with and I don't have any! Thank goodness!!! The foster parents were forcing him out of his cage with a stick/perch.....is that a good way to handle him? I don't want to torture him or make him any more nervous then he already is.....when they did it he puffed up and opened his wings and growled really loud. Since he has been here the only time he has growled really loud was when we moved him into his cage! I'm really excited about having him and I know its going to take time for him to trust me :)

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Congrats on the new baby and welcome to the forum. Parrots are curious animals, once he's used to you and with him being the only bird, he will try to socialize with you, just take things slow since he was a breeder bird to begin with. Ask anything you would like to ask, plenty of people here to answer you!

Thank you! I have all the patience in the world for him! I know with time Frankie and I can be great friends and maybe eventually he'll even talk to me! :) We've made even a little progress tonight....he let me put my hand in his cage and pick up a carrot he dropped.....but when I offered it to him....no luck....he took it and threw it and then growled! He has been watching tv and he really likes mario on wii.....he gets all excited when my husband does!

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
Meighan, if you don't already have a copy, I suggest picking up "Parrots for Dummies". It's a great resource and will answer the great majority of your first-time bird-owner questions.. It's even a good refference for the experienced bird person!...

I will def check out the book....I bought an african grey book from my local pet store and I have been reading different information on different sites. I will hold off on spraying him.....I did put my hand in his cage and he was ok and I picked up a carrot that was on the floor of his cage and tried to offer it to him. No luck! He took it and threw it and then started to growl again. He is also making a sound that almost sounds like purring when I talk to him.....its not the same upset/angry sound that he makes when he growls. I have heard about the teflon pans and have checked my pans that I cook with and I don't have any! Thank goodness!!! The foster parents were forcing him out of his cage with a stick/perch.....is that a good way to handle him? I don't want to torture him or make him any more nervous then he already is.....when they did it he puffed up and opened his wings and growled really loud. Since he has been here the only time he has growled really loud was when we moved him into his cage! I'm really excited about having him and I know its going to take time for him to trust me :)

let him have his space for a while, don't force him to come out if you don't have to. If you must move him for some reason, the stick is the ticket... Tell him "step up" or some similar command and then praise him when he does.

keep working on just being near him, making him comfortable with you and getting him to take treats. (try fruit like apple slices, bannana or grapes...) Once he seems to be OK with that you can open the cage door and see if he'll come out on his own. Again; treats, praise and patience. Every bird is different, it could take weeks or days.

have fun! Birds like fun :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Welcome to our forum and I am so happy that you have this little guy now. Sounds like a wonderful home. Greys do growl and please pay attention -- that is part of body language that says stay away. Breeders are not usually socialized much so that is what you should work on when he has settled down more. Keep a low profile for now and a calm demeanor. Here is a web site that has lots of good grey information.

http://www.africangreys.com/

Last edited:

Most Reactions