Oct 21, 2010
Media
Central Wisconsin (USA)
Parrots
Salsa = Severe Macaw
Frank = CAG
Izzy = Blue and Gold
Hi All
Not sure if any of you remember but i am the one who just adopted a severe last week wednesday...Been almost a week now and I LOVE MY BOY!!!! I am wondering how long a normal adjustment period is and if i am seeing his "true" colors yet? :)

he's doing well (in my opinion) was trying hard to refuse to come out of his cage at first but now he's elated when i open the door and skitters down the perch to hop aboard...YAY...

last night i had him out watching the football game with me and we were in the recliner and he climbed up on my shoulder and dozed off....I feel like he's really trusting me now and seems to be adjusting REALLY REALLY fast, especially being a rescue bird.......??????

He does do some "odd" things such as he'll all of a sudden bend down and look up like he's ducking and waiting for something to get him from above, he does this on his perch, in his cage and on my arm too? not sure if that's normal or not? He's eating OK, loves to shred the peanuts shells and spit the peanuts out...he has shared a few sips of coffee with me and some warm apple cider last night too.

I'd love to hear what you guys all think a NORMAL adjustment period is and if i have some really high hopes that are going to be shattered??? :)

Karrie:green2:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Nice to hear things are going well. I think the head bending down is his way of asking for a head scratch. Birds love that from the other members of their flock (you). Try it next time and see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
SalsasMom

SalsasMom

Oct 21, 2010
Media
Central Wisconsin (USA)
Parrots
Salsa = Severe Macaw
Frank = CAG
Izzy = Blue and Gold
it's more of a "i'm spooked thing" he DOES do the bending down (scratch my head thing) too....if that makes sense...It would kind of be like if you or i were walking down the street and a kid flew a toy airplane and almost hit us, we'd duck and then look up at it....that is the one that confuses me

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I do not know about your birds history but when animals have been abused by human hands they become hand shy and often duck the head. Perhaps you could get a video of this behavior so that we could better understand.

OP
SalsasMom

SalsasMom

Oct 21, 2010
Media
Central Wisconsin (USA)
Parrots
Salsa = Severe Macaw
Frank = CAG
Izzy = Blue and Gold
i will try, it's very random :) which tells me (at least i hope i am right) in thinking he wasn't abused? who knows i don't know his history and neither do the rescue gals, he was dumped at a petco :-( it is ALMOST like a flinch tho, like you are saying i'll watch more carefully and see if any noise or action is happening when he does it...thanks (great idea to video him, duh)

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Hi there great to hear he is bonding so well it's great news

Just a note though coffee bad peanuts bad apple cider ( I'm not sure )
avacado ( deadly )
please check out the toxic foods list
we'd hate something bad to happen
cheers Jess

OP
SalsasMom

SalsasMom

Oct 21, 2010
Media
Central Wisconsin (USA)
Parrots
Salsa = Severe Macaw
Frank = CAG
Izzy = Blue and Gold
ohhh THANK YOU i knew avocado was a NO NO, but not the peanuts????? crap, okay those are for the wild birds only from now on, where do i find the toxic food list?? THANK YOU

Ok i found a list on Avian web, and i don't see peanuts on the bad list and or coffee (decaffeinated) is there a better list out there? apple cider is the raw apple cider that is pure apple, i can't imagine that's bad? i'd love to see more links tho

Last edited:

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i believe its the dust in the peanut shells that could cause a problem, apple cider should be okay, not sure about de-caf coffee

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
ohhh THANK YOU i knew avocado was a NO NO, but not the peanuts????? crap, okay those are for the wild birds only from now on, where do i find the toxic food list?? THANK YOU

Ok i found a list on Avian web, and i don't see peanuts on the bad list and or coffee (decaffeinated) is there a better list out there? apple cider is the raw apple cider that is pure apple, i can't imagine that's bad? i'd love to see more links tho

The actual peanuts, in moderation aren't really "bad", however, they DO carry a mold in between the shells and the nuts that could cause your bird to become very very sick, it's called aspergillosis

I actually have given my grey peanuts as training treats, however, I would recommend throwing "de shelled" peanuts in a pot of boiling water for a few secs and right back out before giving them to the bird. The "pure organic" apple cider should be just fine in moderation as well. Caffeine isn't the best for any animal, really, I don't really know whether or not decaf is any better for them though???

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Agree on avoiding peanuts and caffeine. Sounds like a super bird!

Mr.Darcy

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Hahn's macaw
I have seen the Hahns do the same thing, it's like the swoop down...they also seem to grab their own beak/eye almost like they are imitating answering a phone....I have seen that gesture in quite a few Macaws....but I am no expert......They will also wave their head back and forth down low....

OP
SalsasMom

SalsasMom

Oct 21, 2010
Media
Central Wisconsin (USA)
Parrots
Salsa = Severe Macaw
Frank = CAG
Izzy = Blue and Gold
Thanks everyone for the peanut information.....i just put the bag of peanuts out on the porch, they'll go to the wild birds only :-( and he loved to shred them..... Thanks Mr Darcy on the behavior things...never saw mine answer the phone yet, but have seen him to the head back and forth down low :) I appreciate all this information SOOO MUCH......

Most Reactions

Latest posts