New member and getting a new parrot!

Pengle

Feb 28, 2013
South West part of VA
Parrots
Velvet, 24 yr old CAG who was a fledgling wild caught import when we got her. Sam, 18 yr male U2 we just adopted (mutilator/plucker)
I have been the Mom to a CAG for the past 23 years, we got Velvet when she was about 6 months old. She was a wild caught import and afraid of the world! We got her because we thought no one else would want her. I was cooking for her the other morning and it came to me that I always make enough food to feed more birds so my husband and I decided to find a bird that needed a home. We were going to get one that was really old, really mean or for some other reason not very adoptable.

I am lucky and work at a vet clinic with a vet who does a lot of avian work. I told her about my plan and she told me that she had one in mind. There was an umbrella cockatoo that had severely mutilated herself. That she had bonded so closely to her owner that anytime she was around him she would begin doing this. It had all started when the other parrot they had died about 4 years ago. The 2 had been at the clinic trying to get into a sanctuary but there are just so many in need and few openings, especially for a plucker. Her skin and muscle has grown back (with medical help) but she still plucks. I guess this is her last chance at a home. I requested that testing be done to make sure that she didn't have anything that Velvet could catch.........and as soon as those results are back and (if) she is negative, we will bring her home.

I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions and stories!! HA!

Thanks!
Pengle

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
WOW welcome to the forum and thank you for considering rescuing this bird Your going to have your work cut out for you would love to see pics of both of your birds when you bring him home:)

OP
P

Pengle

Feb 28, 2013
South West part of VA
Parrots
Velvet, 24 yr old CAG who was a fledgling wild caught import when we got her. Sam, 18 yr male U2 we just adopted (mutilator/plucker)
Just got the word that the blood tests came back negative so I will get to bring her home on Saturday!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!! :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrats great news
Remember to post pic's