New member here!

Castlerock

Apr 6, 2011
Southwestern PA
Parrots
Gabe & Pluto - Budgies
Hello out there. c: I joined up here just now after having stumbled on the forum while I was doing some research...
I'm 18, a high school senior, and living with my grandparents because I can't drive yet + I'm going to college here come fall. I've been an animal lover since I was little and owned a short list of pets since then. Right now my oldest pet is a two year old bombay cat we rescued when he was just a kitten.

Recently, my grandfather got me a pair of budgies as a gift because he knows how much I love birds and enjoys the chirping. I have friends and relatives who have owned small birds before, so I was pretty excited about finally having a couple of my own. I'll get a picture once they're a little less shy... for now they're still settling in (I have literally only had them less than a week!) and skittish of too much attention. We think they're both little boys... at least, according to the owner of the store my grandpa got them from. One, Gabe, is larger and an absolutely amazing shade of powder blue and light grey. The other is smaller, with actual black and blue. "His" name is Pluto. (NOT convinced he's male just yet. His cere isn't blue, but it's not exactly pink either...)

Gabe is very outgoing and vocal but doesn't like fingers. (I've been nipped already while changing the water. :p) Pluto is much more quiet and shy but seems like a real sweetheart.

After reading some of the various posts on here I thought it would be in my best interest to sign up and get advice from long-time bird owners. Even though I have friends who have had birds, around here budgies are "cheap" pets that people get for their young kids, and I know a LARGE amount of the information I was reading here is completely new to me. I really want to do this right, because these are such beautiful little birds, and they're so sweet and smart. Gabe already answers to his name, something I can't even boast about my cat after having him for more than a year and a half.

I still have a lot of very basic questions that I'm tracking down answers to... I sort of wish I had been given some time to prepare for the two of them, but now that they're here I want to learn all that I can so that they can have long, happy lives with me...

Anyway, just like to say hi and thanks already for the information I've already picked up here. ^^ I know I've had a rough start but I really want to become a good bird owner.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww welcome to the forum, and i have to admit i always thought budgies to be a little old ladies pet (sorry budgie owners!)

i am sure that you giving them time to settle yu are already doing the right thing, if anything gabe looks to be the brave one, so once his use to you, you'll prob have him sat on your shoulder!

OP
Castlerock

Castlerock

Apr 6, 2011
Southwestern PA
Parrots
Gabe & Pluto - Budgies
Thanks! c: Heh, when I was little I thought the same thing, just because at the time the only person I knew who had them was an elderly aunt.

I really hope so. I sit next to the cage and talk to them a couple of times a day so they get used to me... and I think you're right about Gabe. He likes climbing all over everything, so I think he'd enjoy that.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
oh then you could just start by offering treats through the cage bars, but they have to come and get them, pluto might learn from gabes reactions etc

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum! They're wonderful birds!!! That's why I have some along with my bigger birds... :)

OP
Castlerock

Castlerock

Apr 6, 2011
Southwestern PA
Parrots
Gabe & Pluto - Budgies
I gave the treats a shot... I bought yogurt-covered fruit hunks from the store when I was buying toys. Pluto shuffled away from my hand but Gabe looked like he wanted it. He wouldn't take it from my fingers tho, I had to drop it before he would pick at it.

I managed to win them over with rolls of newspaper with food inside! Well... enough that they stayed still long enough for me to snap a picture. I had to back pretty far up and use the zoom, so all you can see is the veeery back corner of the cage, but it's something! Funnily enough Pluto seemed to like having his picture taken. Gabe was having none of it. :p

gabrielandpluto2.png

There's Pluto on the left and Gabe giving me the 'go away' glare on the right, ehe. Neither of them acted like this stressed them out much, thankfully. After this minor harassment I left them be until it was time to clean the cage... (You can see where someone had tracked poo on the perch and the newpaper they messed up. Icky! I think they were happy when I scrubbed everything off with hot water.)

Pluto REALLY seems to like my grandpa. He chirps whenever he comes in the room and scuttles over to whatever side is closest to him. Gabe seems more like he's taken a shine to me... (As long as I'm not holding a camera anyway!)

I'm saving up to get them a bigger cage... even though my grandparents say this one is okay I just feel it's too small for them. And we HAVE space, they have practically the whole wall to themselves on that side.

I have a question though.
Right now what we've started them on are these little seed balls that are supposedly FOR parakeets? They have millet in them though, which concerns me some. We also give them sliced carrots and peas... they nibbled the carrots but didn't really go for it. They seemed to like the peas though... I know dark green veggies are good, but which ones would be better to try them on first?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww pluto is really cute, (sorry gabe)

no idea about budgie diets, i thought they were seed eatersm but i'd say avoid pomegranet, only because it could stain there feathers lol i always have major problems gettin the juice outta my tops!

OP
Castlerock

Castlerock

Apr 6, 2011
Southwestern PA
Parrots
Gabe & Pluto - Budgies
xD Naw, I think even Gabe thinks Pluto is pretty... he's started fussing over his feathers and grooming him all the time. It's so cute! Oh boy, I'll remember. They're messy as it is, pomegranate juice on those nice white feathers would just never come out. :9 Also, you might be right about them and seeds... I've added papaya and banana to things they are not interested in.

Most Reactions

Latest posts