New member in Fl

mholzman

Jul 9, 2009
Tallahassee, Fl
Parrots
Quaker female- blue, Quaker male- green
Hi, I just got a blue Quaker (female) about a month ago. This is my first bird experience, and boy, am I hooked! I am going to pick up a baby green male in a week or so. I am enjoying learning how to be a good bird-mommy!
Michele:blue2::greenyellow:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forums,

It is easy to get hooked. But you may want to consider the outcomes of getting another. One bird means you have a buddy who loves you and wants to spend their time with you. A second bird doesn't always mean you will have two buddies. Quite often the two will bond with each other and they will have less (if any) interest in you.

In birdy math sometimes 1+1=0

Of course this is not all the time, there are many happy owners of multiple birds. It is not a sure thing that you'll loose your buddy - but I'd say it is a sure thing that your relationship with her will change.

Jul 18, 2009
Wodonga AU
Parrots
Western Long Billed Corella- Female- Mitilda
Gahlah-Male_Banjo
My suggestion is to keep your babies seperated until they bond with you. It may help the odds of both staying attached to you. Once you have a strong bond with both let them come out to play together but they sleep apart. We are new at the whole bird world, but after talking to many "old timers here in AU who have been around and breeding birds their entire lives this is what was suggested. The one guy has a couple of parrots that are in their 30s and 40s that he has had since they hatched. Good luck with the little guys

Most Reactions