c.camper

May 21, 2018
Hello everyone..... my name is Carl and I have a new member of my family.Her name is Maggie ..a 31 year old Cockatoo...she has chosen me to be her human...She is Amazing and very sweet to me.. Not so much for my girlfriend and brother...I am the 4th person that she has ever been around..she was raised by 1 person for the 1st 30yrs of her life and then in a rescue home for a year...that's where I found her...she has a problem with aggressive behavior towards my girlfriend and brother....what can I do to help her.... thanks for any suggestions..., Carl

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Carl and Maggie! Her story is not unfamiliar, many older cockatoos have seen many homes. Glad she chose you, likely for good reason!

How long have you had Maggie? The strategy to manage her aggression towards girlfriend and brother may depend on whether she is still in the "honeymoon" phase of recency.

This thread may give tips to the others in effort to form at least an acceptable truce: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Welcome, come on in.

You might also read the sticky I Love Amazons in the Amazon Forum. A great source of parrot knowledge no matter the species.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You can try playing warm potato with her handing her toeach family member for short periods.It wouldnot hurt if the other 2 people had a bit of her favorite treat to give her. Maggie needs to learn that only good things come from the humans in hew new home. ALL the humans.

Most Reactions

Latest posts