New Mom with lots of Question

KDab

Nov 4, 2020
I have adopted a couple of budgies, they were originally bought as a pair around a 1 1/2 year ago. I am so happy to have them, and looking for help as what I need to do to helping them to be happy to be here. I have had them one month.
:white blue::blue2:

#1 thing I would like for them is to be able to let them out of there cage and fly around in out big screened in porch. I do understand that it is going to take some time, and would like to know how to approach them in the correct way.

Thank you for any help you can give me, Kdab

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Kdab, hope we can provide you with solid information. I have absolutely no experience with budgies, but many other members keep them so you are in great company!

Giving them the gift of flight within enclosure is exciting. I'd imagine you'll need to handle them for return to primary cage or have reliable method of capture. Of utmost concern is safety from injury or escape. Budgies are small and don't require much of opening to seek the ultimate freedom.

Hopefully our budgie aficionados will chime in. If not, feel free to create a new thread in another specialty sub-forum such as Budgies/Parakeets. Just change the wording a bit to avoid cross-posting. (duplicate thread)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Scott touched on the problem with allowing free flight with a pair of budgies that are not hand trained. Trying to get them back into thier cage by grabbing them and sticking them back in will destroy any trust or bond that they might have been building up with you. WIth parrots and birds, its all about the trust, and anything that is a trust buster is to be avoided, especially at first. I would suggest that you work on getting them used to hands ( difficult with budgies) and stepping up (also difficult) before turning them loose in an enclosed area. They are likely bonded to each other at this point so you are going to be playing third wheel and have to get past that, if you can.

Most Reactions