New Orange wing

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
I had a ad up wanting to adopt a grey on Craigslist. Had a lot of replys for smaller birds. So i went out and bought a cage for a conure that way when i found the one i would have everything ready. Then i got a email from a woman the had a orange wing amazon. I went to meet her and feel in love. Fast forward moving the cage she came with and rearanging my house to keep her away from my other birds. She came with a huge cage by design cage. (It is great to look at but how hard are they to keep clean?) The woman i got her from was more worried about finding her the right home than line her pockets. Khloe#2 as i call her ( her name is the same as my cockatoo) is set up for a vet visit Thursday. She only eats peanuts and sun flower seeds. I am planning on putting her on zumpreen like my others unless you with the amazons know of something better.I got her to try a grape this morning, but no green veggys lol. I have looked on line for the diet needs and many sites said to feed her seed.That didn't seem right to me, she is kind of over weight already. I had planned on giving her time to settle in but she is a sweet heart and everytime i am near she wants to "hop up" as she calls it. So She has had her first shower in 5 years and looks a lot better. She is 12 years old and in ok feather shape. Should i keep on playing with her as much or let her spend a little more time getting settled in? She loves to be on her playstand near me but i don't want to make her too dependent on me to keep her amused.She is chewing toys up good today and has went to everyone in the house with no problems. Will she stay that way? I will try to put pics up later tonight.:green:

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I think you can interact w/her as much as she's comfortable. Sounds like a sweetie. Good luck w/the diet change, we're still struggling here. I bet seeing other birds eating their veggies will help with this. Congrats on your new girl.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think the important thing is for all members of your household to spend time with the bird.Maybe some playtime in the AM/Pm and quiet time during the middle of the day.Everyone should pass out treat (apple,banana,grapes,etc)and hopefully you can get her weaned over to pellets.Thank you for rehoming an amazon ,they are really great family birds and maybe you'll be able to brighten each others lives.Let me know if there's anything i can help with but it sounds as everything will be fine.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Melinda, I hated what you were going through on the "Rescue or bidding war?" thread & am SO happy to see this one.

I thought my husband was going to get a Grey (and we still might) but he ended up with an amazon. What a cool bird - friendly & entertaining.

I am officially an amazon fan now. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

Things happen for a reason . . . maybe you were meant to be an amazon person too!

Pictures - we need pictures!

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Melinda, congrats on the new Orange Wing, it sounds like you got a good one!!
I love Amazons too!!
I like their comical, amusing & "out there" attitude. They are much more independent than some other types of parrots such as cockatoos, also. I just got a second Yellow Nape a few days ago.

KBEquine what type of Amazon did your hubby get?

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Melinda, congrats on the new Orange Wing, it sounds like you got a good one!!
I love Amazons too!!
I like their comical, amusing & "out there" attitude. They are much more independent than some other types of parrots such as cockatoos, also. I just got a second Yellow Nape a few days ago.

KBEquine what type of Amazon did your hubby get?

Hi Kerry:

Here's the thread on him:

http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/11750-name-species-pictures.html

You & henpecked said he is a yellow crown, which makes sense to me. He does seem to have a few panama characteristics - and his last owner swears he is a yellow nape.

I've mostly given up on trying to figure out what he is - we're just going to enjoy him.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
KBEquine I have 2 Yellow Napes now & they don't have the red at the top of the wings.
The most recent one that I got last weekend, a foster bird so far, is 12 years old & just has about 6-8 yellow feathers at the nape. After reading what Henpecked said on your other thread (that you put the link to above) I hope she will still get more yellow nape feathers filling in. She also has a very small yellow patch on the top of her head.
I have been told two different times that I was going to look at 2 different Sulphur Crested Cockatoos & they were both Umbrella Cockatoos when I got to the places to meet them. There are many parrot owners who unfortunately don't even know what they have!! Do you know how old your bird is? Yellow Napes don't even start to get the yellow on the nape until after 1 year of age. Your birds feather condition looks very good. That is a very small patch with the down showing through. It is great that it looks like you have provided him with lots to do, hopefully that will help with the plucking. I am in favor of just very slightly warm/tepid water sprays, in the wild birds do NOT shower in aloe juice, do they? :)

OP
melinda

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
0905111757.jpg this was the first night before taking a shower[/ATTACH] Here she is making a new hole in the couch lol. She is very sweet and enjoys getting head sritches. And LOVES to say Hello Khloe .she went to the vet today. How long will it take her to get use to her claws being trimmed? She has fell 2 times today.

Attachments

• 0907112102a.jpg
    0907112102a.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 421

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Hopefully it won't take too long for her to adjust top the nail trim. How do her nails look? How much did the vet take off?

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
KBEquine I have 2 Yellow Napes now & they don't have the red at the top of the wings.
The most recent one that I got last weekend, a foster bird so far, is 12 years old & just has about 6-8 yellow feathers at the nape. After reading what Henpecked said on your other thread (that you put the link to above) I hope she will still get more yellow nape feathers filling in. She also has a very small yellow patch on the top of her head.
I have been told two different times that I was going to look at 2 different Sulphur Crested Cockatoos & they were both Umbrella Cockatoos when I got to the places to meet them. There are many parrot owners who unfortunately don't even know what they have!! Do you know how old your bird is? Yellow Napes don't even start to get the yellow on the nape until after 1 year of age. Your birds feather condition looks very good. That is a very small patch with the down showing through. It is great that it looks like you have provided him with lots to do, hopefully that will help with the plucking. I am in favor of just very slightly warm/tepid water sprays, in the wild birds do NOT shower in aloe juice, do they? :)

I don't think the last owner knew very much - she did comment that a friend who bred amazons commented on the light feathers on this one - I think he was expecting the darker green of the yellow nape (which I think this bird is not). He is 6 to 10 years old & while I have been obsessing about that little plucked patch that he came with, he does have some tiny green feathers coming back in now.

He is very good at entertaining himself -

110811PaulEupsidedownandonefootoneachtoy2.jpg

But occasionally knocks a few feathers out in his enthusiasm . . .

OP
melinda

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
I think they are to short but then again i am used to a cockatoos lol. I have noticed she don't grip as hard as my other birds either. And so far she has eat grapes and apples. But will not even look at a pellet. I think it is going to be a long battle on that.

Attachments

• 0908111332.jpg
    0908111332.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 0908111332a.jpg
    0908111332a.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 146

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Those are cut pretty short,maybe a larger dia perch made of natural wood would help,i really don't like dowels for perches,and they hard for birds to hang on to.Maybe try the pellets as a treat and hand them out one at a time.

Last edited:

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
She'll adjust just give her a little time. When she gets hungry she will probably eat the pellets if you don't keep giving her the seed & keep the pellets in her old seed dish. If she has other things that she likes better to fill up on then she may keep refusing it.

OP
melinda

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
Great news this morning i didn't give Khloe her fruit and veggys. After about two hours of not giving in to her begging she started eatting her pellets. She eat almost a whole bowl today. She has natural wood perches in her cage all 3 of them different sizes but i ordered a rope perch (and enought toys for everyone) Friday morning. Should be here monday or tuesday. I think she has settled in faster than any bird i have ever had. Makes me wonder how i ever done without a amazon lol. They are such a loving bird Too bad i never got to meet one till now.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I love my orange wing Mr. Precious. He sleeps on the ceiling fan above my bed & gives me the sexy whistle while I'm trying to read my book & go to sleep. When he's in a talking mood you can't shut him up for anything!

OP
melinda

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
Khloe is doing great. She stopped falling with the rope perch. I got her a good playstand so she would no longer be on a dowel perch. Are most amazons a perch potatoe? She does a lot of talking and noises but doesn't play as much as i thought she would. Everyone got the weekly weight done wensday and she is up to 384 grams. She has gained about 20 grams since coming here. She is eatting pellets great with alot of fresh fruit and veggys but still have a hard time getting her to eat green veggys. She is still the sweetiest bird in the house. My cockatoo seems to have taking up to her great and likes being near her. I though amazons were a hot bird she is cool and calm like no other bird i have been around.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Both of my re-homed YNAmazons took a while after I got them home but then both started playing more after the initial adjustment period was over. Yes, Amazons are known couch potatoes who are also known for being overweight, that is why eliminating the fatty seed is good.

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
I glad to hear so much is going well. An as for settleing in each Ammie will take their own designated time to settle in. I've had birds that take months to get comfortable enough to even let ppl touch near them and i've had birds that are good in 3 days. It all depends on the bird, her previous experiences and how patient you are. Just learn her bahaviors and her body language as best you can and she will tell you what she needs alot of the time. Make sure she get adequate time to also fall in love with her toys and cage and such and she will be a well happy well rounded birdie family member. =)

OP
melinda

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
I was lucky that she came with her huge cage( had to redo the whole house to fit it in). She only gets seeds as training treats. She will do just about anything for a sun flower or peanut lol. I have gotten her to give me half her sounds and words on cue so far. I am hoping to take her to a preschool near my house soon. She is so good with everyone that she meets i think she would be a great bird to teach the kids about the care a bird needs. I feel like i won the lottery getting her. Her owner before me must have worked a lot with her. She is starting to enjoy her new playstand more each day. The best part is she is teaching my cockatoo more words but she has learned the cockatoo's calls as well. So it can get pretty loud here in the evenings.

ftlaudmom

Oct 3, 2011
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Parrots
Ziggy a yna Rip
Rico an orange winged amazon RIP
Coco a yna
Melinda - I've been reading your posts and I too just got myself a sweet little orange wing this past Saturday. His name is Rico and he is adorable. He is very sweet around people but is giving me a little trouble getting out of his cage on my hand. His previous owner said he came out on his own but I don't want him doing that because I'm sure he'll just climb up onto his play area and then give me a hard time to come back down. I have a cat so I really need him to be able to come to me when my cat is around for his own safety. How are you getting yours out of her cage? Any biting? Rico doesn't try to bite once he's out but definitely exerts his authority on my hand when I try to take him out myself.

Most Reactions