New Orange winged Amazon Parrot owner

Hhill

Dec 5, 2017
Oklahoma
Parrots
Orange winged Amazon
Hello! I was just given an 8 month old male orange winged amazon. I have been reading and reading to educate myself so I can take good care of this bird. The person that gave him to me had him on a seed only diet. I've been reading that pellets are best. I tried giving him fresh mango today and he didn't eat any of it. Can anyone please let me know any helpful information of feeding and what to expect. Also, I notice he has a very musty smell. Is this normal? Thank you for any info!

Heidi

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I had a wild caught Orange Winged for 39 years. During that time She would eat anything I put in front of her.....unlike my current Hawk Head.

I never got her to talk though she made lots of sounds. Others her have had success with their's talking.

She made need a bath, mine liked to bathe in her water bowl.

They are like any other Amazon, full of mischief and good shredders so make sure she has something to pull apart in her cage.

What was her diet before you got her?

Bill

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.
Hi, you'll want to expose her to lots of different fruits and veggies along with grains. There are a lot of great suggestions for "chop" recipes here. I don't make big batches ahead of time like some, but it is a great time saver I'm sure. I just buy a small amount of a few things when I shop for groceries and cut enough up for a bowl each day. My two birds have different things they'll eat and it also changes, so keep offering : )
Some birds love to shower, some don't. Some take a dip in their water dish, some like to be misted. Not sure why there would be a musty smell. You'll want to find an avian vet and take her in for a baseline check up; I make a list of anything I want to ask ahead of time because I'm so forgetful : )

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
some would say that there Amazon has a "musky" smell and it is somewhat addictive.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonder World of Amazons!

Find the Amazon Forum here on Parrot Forums. At the top of the page you will note that a couple of Threads, seen in light blue. These Threads are referred too as 'Sticky Threads and includes specific information regarding that Forums topic.

The second Thread in the Amazon Forum is Titled: I Love Amazons - ... That huge Thread has over thirty Segments that covers a vast cross-section of Subjects regarding the Loving and Living with Amazons.

Regarding the aroma: Amazona. This aroma is a Hallmark of Amazons and is a scent that they choose to provide when they are satisfied with their World.

Take a long look at the the I Love Amazons - ... Thread. Come back with questions.

Again, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazon's, a Place that Amazon's Rule!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I had a wild caught OWA also. He passed away a little over a year ago.
He loved baby carrots, mango, bananas, all kinds of stuff.
He was on a seed diet most of his life because I did not know better at the time but he always liked the fresh fruit and veggies we gave him.

Your bird is young so I think you should be able to switch his diet to a more healthy one.
The best idea I have read in the forum is to give him his normal seeds but only leave them in is cage for a short time 15 min. to 1/2 hour.
After that removed them and leave pellets and other healthier selection of food.
be sure to try a verity of pellets.
good luck and welcome to the forum.

texsize

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
MY grey will eat, no DEMAND any thing that I am eating or appear to eat. Make lots of yummy noises as well as the curiosity will get the better of them

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations and welcome to the forums!!

There is a wealth of specific Amazon information and general health and diet information for you to enjoy. Thankfully he is young and resilient and should respond to positive change.

Many parrots are "flock eaters" and consider you as part of their flock. Prepare a dish of fresh veggies and fruits for you and your bird. Eat enthusiastically, bob your head, make "Mmmmm" sounds. Pellets can be a secondary source of nutrition; seeds given sparingly and various nuts as treats.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You have been entrusted with the life of a very smart, very emotional, very long lived creature, that now depends on you for nourishment, stimulation, guidance and yes love. AN Amazon. You, my friend, have a lot of reading to do. We strongly suggest that you pull up a chair near or next to your birds cage and read it aloud to him. They love being read to. And it will acclimate him to your presence and voice. Having an Amazon as a life companion is work, any parrot is, but you will be repaid thricefold for every effort you put in. Mr. 'Boats, above, is one, if not the main, Amazon expert on this board, and you will benefit greatly from his advice and information. I applaude you for taking this one in, and I hope your relationship with him is long and thouroughly enjoyable. I suggest you make a permanent thread on your parrot, to be sort of a diary on him, and then use separate threads to ask questions, in the appropriate sub-forum ( ie Diet, Health, etc). My own Salty has his main one in the AMazon sub-forum, "Right now, Salty is ......" so any one can read about him from when I first got him, right up to now. In any case good luck, and read, read, read !

Most Reactions

Latest posts